Last month, I talked about some of the misconceptions about the romance genre, today I’d like to discuss misconceptions about romance authors. Feel free to add any I might have missed.
1. Romance authors live the life of leisure, lounging in lingerie and eating bon bons. Not sure about you all, but I’m usually wrapped in blanket and cleaning up cat puke.
2. Romance authors are rolling in money. Well, I’m sure there’s plenty of change in my couch cushions, but I’m not sure that qualifies. Granted many writers are doing very well for themselves, but many still have to work the dreaded day job.
3. Romance live the same lives as their characters. Oh if only I was a psychic, psychologist, art appraiser librarian who owned a bookstore in a medieval-esque alternate universe. What. Ever.
4. Romance authors do all of the kinky stuff they write about. Sorry to disappoint, but I can’t own up to any ménages, sex with fallen angels or time traveling Arthurian knights.
5. Romance authors write about sex because they’re not getting any and/or due to unrequited love. Most of the writers I know are either married or in a long term relationship, and the vast majority are happy in those relationships.
6. Romance authors are hacks who can’t make it I the real publishing world. Yep…that’s why romances account for over 50% of the books sold in a given year. That’s a huge market for us “hacks.”
7. Romance author who choose to publish ebooks as opposed to print books aren’t as good as print published authors. This one gives me The Rage. Absolute unmitigated rage. Some of the best books out there are in ebook format only. I say this not only as a proud epublished writer but as a very critical, voracious reader.
So what misconceptions about romance authors get your undies in a bunch?