This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

6.3.08

Poetry

Who could have guessed that poems could be so fun?

I started by writing poems. My first ones, written when I was about 5 or 6, are in a private collection (my mother's top drawer) and my high school poetry often saved my English grades from being complete disasters. I found early on that I could stitch poems together, and they were the first building blocks of my writing. I love visual poetry, and I think, like most dyslexics, poetry is easier to read than stories (at least it was for me in the beginning).

Here are some poems, my gifts to you today!
What are your favorite poems? I'll admit to having a fondness for ee cummings and for Robert Frost (I was introduced to his work in school, and never thought it was corny!)
For those who don't know ee cummings, here is one of my favorites, that I sometimes think about:

"why must itself up every of a park"

why must itself up every of a park
anus stick some quote statue unquote to
prove that a hero equals any jerk
who was afraid to dare to answer "no"?

And here are two I thought were fun - one celebrates the female sex, the other pokes gentle fun at the male...

The portions of the female
Which appeal to man's depravity
Are fashioned with considerable care.
And what appears at first to be just a simple cavity
Is really an elaborate affair.
There's the vulva, the vagina,
And the good old perineum,
And the hymen (that is sometimes found in brides)
The labia majora and the labia minora
The clitoris and god knows what besides.
So what a shame it is then,
That when common people utter
of these mysteries to which I have referred,
They always seem to sink into the language of the gutter
And use such a short- and nasty - little word!

Sir Alan P Herbert.

With thanks to Monty Python for expressing the other side of the coin...

Isn't awfully nice to have a penis?
Isn't it good to have a dong?
It's swell to have a stiffy.
It's divine to own a dick,
from the tiniest little tadger
to the world's biggest prick!

Have a wonderful, poetic day!

Samantha Winston
www.samanthawinston.com

3 comments:

Lyn Cash said...

I'm so late in posting - sorry - just wanted to say hello to another Monty Python fan and let you know you made my day with this post! *still chuckling*

I'm such a lousy poet, but my son is an ace - go figure.

And I had such a thing for e.e. cummings at one time that I went through this stage of never capitlizing anything - lol. (Still don't at times.)

hugs!
~ Sunny

Sam said...

Thanks Lyn!
I can just hear Monty Python reciting the penis poem and it cracks me up. I Love Monty Python, and so do my kids, luckily!

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hilarious, Samantha!

I wrote poetry at 6 or 7, too, and all the way through high school and college. My poems were mostly about love and lust, though I would not have characterized them that way at the time.

As for favorite poems, do you know the Sara Teasdale poem, Barter? It never fails to bring a lump to my throat. It ends as follows:

Give all you have for loveliness.
Buy it and never count the cost.
For one white singing hour of peace,
Count many a year of strife well lost.
And for a breath of ecstasy
Give all you have been, or could be.