This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

22.4.08

Some thoughts from an RT conference virgin

Romantic Times Conference 2008, some thoughts from an RT conference virgin


by Emma Wildes


I have to admit I didn’t know what to expect. Twelve hundred attendees, a city I’d only driven by in the past, and a huge array of activities. I am sure there were a wide variety of experiences because I do know some people were disappointed in the hotel (under serious renovation during our stay) but I must say I had a lovely time.


Why? Well, the reason is simple. I was allowed the opportunity to talk about writing for five days! Now, don’t get me wrong, my family is supportive and all, but…let’s face it, their eyes start to glaze over after just a few minutes. They really can’t relate. It’s fine, but not fun. My daughter is in medical school. I don’t find the subject of soft tissue amputation interesting either (shudder).


This was fun. Lunch with publishers, dinner out with other authors, writing in my room in the wee hours…


Finally a venue about what interests me. I met fans, I met some terrific authors I’ve been reading for years, and I learned new things about the craft simply by chatting with others who have the same issues, needs, and problems.


I’ve always had mixed feelings about the value of conferences but I think the camaraderie alone is worth the expense and effort. I came away smiling.


And those wonderful fans. Do they understand how they light up our world with their enthusiasm?



Emma

www.emmawildes.com


2 comments:

Ashley Ladd said...

Five days immersed in the writing world sounds like heaven. Glad you enjoyed it.

Lisabet Sarai said...

I'm so jealous! I've met other writers at more informal gatherings and you're right, it's fabulous.