This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

19.6.08

What's Your Comfort Zone?

I sat down to write something witty, sexy and titillating for this blog. Um, sorry, not today. Not feeling sexy or witty right now. June and July are busy months for me. June 30th is the end of our financial year. And don’t ask me why we end the year in the middle. I have no idea. I just know it generates a heck of a lot of work. Mathematical work! Figures are not my natural forte. Ask me to sit and write something and I’m your girl. But figures? No, these I have to work at and June means lots of figures to get ready for the tax man. When we took over our motel, I’d never used Excel in my life. I had to learn on the job, and damn quick. Talk about stepping outside my comfort zone!

Stepping out of your comfort zone is what this post is all about. I’m about to do it in a big way this coming weekend. I’m not a public speaker, although I have done it in the past when I was young and unafraid of anything. Now, it’s a whole different matter. I’ve been asked to be one of the featured guest authors at the Canberra Writers’ Festival. I’ve been asked to be on a panel about reading and writing romance. *Gulp* A panel with only two of us on. The other author is a sweet romance writer whereas I write red hots! Two ends of the spectrum. The mind boggles! I can just imagine the questions that we’ll be hit with. Lol

Then I’m doing a workshop on writing erotic romance in the ebook market. *Another big gulp* Three hours of talking about sex! The sound you hear is my knees knocking. Yes, I want to do it, but now I’m second-guessing myself. Can I do this? What if no one comes? Ack!! What if I make a fool of myself? Boy, when I decided to step out of my comfort zone I went the whole hog.

This whole extending yourself, pushing yourself to do something different, crosses over to our writing, too. It’s easy to get complacent and write the same old thing. Hey, it sold well the first time. Why not now? But it doesn’t work like that. We need to push ourselves to try something different, whether it be a new genre or a different level of heat in our stories. Otherwise we’d eventually stagnate. The market is constantly changing and we need to go with it. Sometimes it’s scary, as doing this workshop is for me, but it’s worth it. Because only by stepping outside our comfort zones can we grow. As people and as writers.

No comments: