This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

22.6.08

The Writing Addiction

I'm going on vacation, a thirteen hour trip up north to the Jersey shore. A week of visiting relatives, surf, sand and fun. Yet one issue remains...

To bring the laptop or not to bring the laptop.

I want to leave it at home, I truly do. But I might get some downtime when the kids are asleep and I have an urge to write. I might need to check emails or update my blog. And then I have a contest ending next week, so I guess I HAVE to bring it.

Addiction is a sad thing. My butt is getting steadily bigger by sitting so much in my desk chair. I've turned into a night owl because I write when everyone's asleep. I'm addicted to early morning email, praying I've got more than "Local Christian Singles" spam and group digest messages.

Then there's my website fixation. I'm a geek; I must be. Because I love looking at other people's websites and then tinkering with my own. So many ideas, so much time wasted when I should be writing...

See, I can justify typing new stories. But emails and Internet surfing tend to eat more of my time than nurturing my craft. Still, there's always that idea that will pop up. I mean, look at all the great publishers you can find, the wonderful books, the blogs you can pour through for hours on end. A great distraction unless you're on a deadline.

Yes, friends, addiction is a terrible thing. But at least when I'm writing, I'm working on finishing a product to contribute to someone else's addiction. Reading. Another of my vices, but that's a story for a different day.

Have a great Sunday, and be sure to read, read, read.

Marie
www.marieharte.com

1 comment:

Ashley Ladd said...

Oh yes, I'm addicted to my laptop, to the Internet, to email and blogs, and to writing, too.

I just came back from vacation. I took my HEAVY laptop on the plane with me just to find out the power cord broke and I carried it for nothing. However, I could and did use my dad's computer to check email so I wasn't totally computerless although his was deadly slow and irksome. When I wanted to write, I wrote by hand the old fashioned way.

Have fun on vacation.