This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

28.7.08

Thank you Mary Shelley

On this day in literary history, 1814:

Poet Percy Bysshe Shelley elopes with 17-year-old Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin on this day, despite the fact that he's already married.

Mary Godwin, better known as Mary Shelley would later go on to write Frankenstein. The story goes that Lord Byron was spending the summer with the couple. It rained for most of the summer, leaving the threesome inside, talking and sharing stories by many a firelight. By the end of the summer they had reached German ghost stories, one by one sharing bone chilling tales.

This led to Byron suggesting they all write their own supernatural tales. Mary Shelley began work on Frankenstein. At first intended to be a short story. The tale grew to be a full novel. And thank goodness for that.

The book has inspired thousands of women to try their hand at horror stories, and I believe writing in general. Centuries ago there were genres that women just did not attempt. Horror was a big one. But thanks to M.S., one more door was opened to us.

I am not big on feminism. I don't get that irate that men make more money than me. I am more than willing to let men kill the bugs. They should feel free to get items off of high shelves for me.

But at the same time, don't tell me I can't do something. It doesn't matter if you are telling me that I cannot do it because I am a woman, that I can't do it because I am too fat, too thin, too tall, too short. DON'T tell me "Can't." I am great with "won't" I will even take the occasional "don't." But "can't", no sir. That little word, with it's cocky little apostrophe will just ensure it is the first thing I attempt, and I will succeed. If only to prove you wrong.

So thank you Mary Shelley, for giving women the courage to follow in your dainty little footsteps. For helping other women not accept "can't." And for ensuring Robert DeNiro would finally star in a monster movie. Even in Frankenstein...yum. How can you not love him?

XoXoXo
Dakota Rebel

2 comments:

Bronwyn's Blog said...

Huzzah for Mary Shelley and Huzzah for Dakota Rebel - two rocking women!

barbara huffert said...

Wonderful tidbit, Mary Shelley hung out with Lord Byron. Well done!

And you can do anything you decide to. I think I'll write a horror story of my own next.