This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

7.8.08

from the author's perspective

Pardon my lateness today, but I'm still recovering from a writers' trip to San Francisco. The entire trip was spent learning at Smoker's University, site-seeing, and networking - let me tell you, it really sucked to be me. NOT.



My roommate, as always, was Alexis Fleming, another TEB author. Her daughter Kelly made the trip from Australia and shared with us. It wasn't unusual to find Alex at the computer at the butt-crack of dawn, with the coffee brewing...or late in the evening with a glass of wine nearby. She, Kel, and I barely had time to read our emails while we were there. Monday was spent shopping, Tuesday was spent taking a double-decker bus tour of the city, browsing an open-air fruit market at Fisherman's Wharf, and watching sea lions off Pier 39 at the Wharf.



I met some fabulous writers, reconnected with old friends, and met some of the most interesting people on the street and in the smoking section (the hotel's garage). San Francisco is not what I'd call a beautiful city, but it is definitely one of the most fascinating. The biggest blemish is the number of homeless, not to put too fine a point on it. So as a romance author, I was hard put to find romance for a day or two. Until...



I met the most wonderful little boy with his father that week. They were from Japan and were attending a seminar for Prudential Insurance. The child commented on my smile, and I returned the compliment, told him that he was the most handsome man I'd met in San Francisco. His father wanted to take the boy's photo with me, and I wanted one of the two of them.




I was one of those arrogant souls who had said "I sunbathe in 55 degrees - it's not COLD!" Well, let me tell you...I had to trot down to a drug store and pick through their sweatshirts by the second day. 50-55 degrees, with a chilly breeze coming off of the ocean, is a lot colder than I'd imagined. And the only hoodie I could find that comfortably contained "the girls" was this one...


It pretty much sez "Property of Alcatraz" then "Rejected for being too cute" (which ain't true). But it was warm and fuzzy and comfortable, and it fit around my chest.


As for writer tips, that hasn't changed. You can't sell anything that you haven't submitted, so plant meat to seat and don't give up. How's that for a tip?


As for reader's tips? There is a huge upswing in paranormal romance, anything that is HAWT/hot, so erotic romance is still at the top of booksellers' lists, along with mystery and...historical. Historicals are making a huge come-back.


I spent quite a bit of time chatting with the 3 lovely ladies from The Book End, and they said to tell my publishers that Ingram's is important...big time distributor. The women said to tell authors that they want more erotic romance. And they said to tell readers where to locate them, so here 'tis:

5678 Thornton AveNewark, CA 94560
(510) 797-4100


Favorite place to eat while I was in San Francisco had to be Mel's Drive-In. Best hot roast beef sandwich with veggies on the side...and their breakfasts were wonderful. I walked the short distance from the hotel and bumped elbows with the locals one day, just to see what it was like, and the place was still jumping with juke box tunes from the fifties and sixties, and the pace was just as fast, if not faster, than any other meal. Great food, great service, and hunky waiters.


I'll try to get my butt into gear and have more photos on my personal blog within a few days. Gotta finish unpacking, catch up on sleep, and gear up for yet another great time...I get to meet my TEB editor and final line editor this weekend!!!!!!!!!!! The fabulous Carol Lynne is hosting a soiree at her home. I cannot wait for this one. *hehehe* More on that one later, too.
Take care, everybody. Savour those moments, trips, foods, and men that make you want to sit down with a good book and lose track of time.
hugs,
Sunny Lyn

7 comments:

Bronwyn's Blog said...

It looks like you had a blast! I wish I could have gone - mostly just to see San Fran. Love the Alcatraz sweatshirt - too fun!

PS - can't wait to meet you!!!

Carol Lynne said...

We can't wait to see you on Saturday! We're all sitting around emailing each other instead of talking. LOL

Alexis Fleming said...

I'm glad I got to share San Francisco with you, Sunny. It was a lot of fun and it's surprising who you meet in smokers' alley. lol

Roll on next year and another get-together.

Lyn Cash said...

thanks, ladies :) I DID have fun - just wish all my TEB buds could've been there. by the way, I DID mail home some goodies for the upcoming weekend group...IF that box ever gets here. I hope so - it has some of my undies in it - ROFLMAO - and nooooo, I did not wrap my undies around what I got for you 4 - they're in a separate bag! :P

Lyn Cash said...

and LEX...I couldn't possibly have a conference without my roomie - you're the best! miss you and Kelly already. *sniff, sniff*

Brynn Paulin, Author of sassy erotic romance. said...

It sounds like you had a fantastic trip. I'm so glad you had a great time.

Lyn Cash said...

Bryn, I'm still trying to figure out how all of the mainstream/general information fits in with the erotic romance. I attended the Passionate Ink cocktail party, of course - the ONLY chapter in RWA for erotic romance authors. They had 2 editors speak, but (scratching my head) I didn't come away with anything I haven't already heard or thought about, if that makes any sense.

In other words, everybody wants what everybody else wants - speaking of publishers AND readers here - so there really wasn't that much to be gleaned there.

Suppose that would be a question best posed to our esteemed publisher...what IS it that is in highest demand at present? (and she'd reply "m/m, BDSM, menage" and tell me YOU KNOW THIS, so WHY are you asking me? - lol