This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

28.8.08

Sexy Fifteen Year Olds

Make you squig a little? Yeah, me too. In this month's issue of a tabloid magazine, right beside stories of Branjalina's twins, Jen's engagement to John, and all of the other celebrity gossip, was a story about Miley Cyrus, age 15 and the end of her relationship with Nick Jonas. She talks about how he broke her heart, how she changed her hair and her image, and how she is going to just be alone for a while. Why? Because it is sexy to be on your own. Excuse me? What was that 15 year old child star Miley Cyrus? Did you just refer to your adolescent self as sexy?

And what the hell is said rag-mag doing reporting on the relationships of children? They are children. I don't care that Nick and Miley broke up, and I don't care that he is now dating 14 year old Selena Gomez. Speculating on whether or not these children are engaged is just irresponsible.

Remember when Disney was for kids? Yeah, me too. But now, it seems that the jokes on the show are geared more toward adults. I have a nine year old daughter, and we watch Hannah Montana, The Suite Life of Zach and Cody, Wizards of Waverly Place, etc. I watch them with her because they are funny, to me, an adult. There are jokes that just go over her head right now, even though the shows are supposed to be made for her age group: Tweens.

Ah the Tweens, not a child, not a teenager. Caught in the middle of toys that are too young and activities that are too old. These kids just don't have anywhere to fit for 3 to 4 years of their lives. It is such an awkward age, and you just feel so bad for these kids because there aren't many places for them to turn.

What's my point? I guess I don't have one. I was just WAY squigged by the child's "sexy" comment. I worry about our children, the ones who are not famous, who do not have millions of dollars, and what they are going to think they should be like. What happened to the Partridge Family? The Brady Bunch? Hell even the Adams Family and The Munsters? There are no warm, fuzzy messages attached to the barrage of television images these kids are subjected to anymore. Today's kids are running out of role models. Yes they have us, but we do not exactly remember what it is like to be their age. Our childhoods are like child birth. We remember the pain, but we don't feel it anymore. Thank goodness for us.

Remember when you were young and your parents would say things to you that you swore up and down you would never say to your kids. How many of those have you said? I have been pretty good about it, though my favorite reasoning behind everything I say and do is "Because." I have never told my daughter to stop crying, for any reason. I don't know if it is because I am such an emotional person myself, or if I just remember how hard it really is to stop crying. It's not a switch that turns on and off. It is a human response to anger, fear, pain, happiness etc.

What is my point? Again, I don't really have one. I am just rambling today because I have nothing of much value to share with you all.

XoXoXo
Dakota Rebel

12 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

LOL:) I like Hannah Montana, but my 14-yr-old no longer does. And you're right; in the 50's and 60's, it was the mom who was clueless. In the 70's and 80's, Mom knew everything and the dad was clueless. But somewhere in the 90's, the PARENTS became the jokes, with the KIDS running everything. Where's the role model in that?

Although...there are a lot of innuendos I'm now picking up from reruns that I didn't catch as a tween, from Happy Days, Three's Company, and Laverne and Shirley. Maybe I was just naiive. But it bothers me that my kids already know, say, and joke about stuff I didn't understand until college.

Dakota Rebel said...

Jr. Rebel will be 10 on Monday. Thankfully she still gets grossed out by any word with "sex" in it. I can only hope this lasts for a very, very long time.

I grew up fast, but kids today are just ridiculous. Too old too fast.

Thanks for stopping by Molly!

XoXoXo
Dakota Rebel

Bronwyn's Blog said...

I think being a tween today involves more mine fields than ever before. I recently found out that a thirteen year old girl (who I've known since nearly birth) wants to be a Playboy model when she grows up. Really? That's your ambition? It depresses the hell out of me.

Brynn Paulin, Author of sassy erotic romance. said...

AMEN!! I agree 10,000 percent.

We want our kids to be kids, but then all kinds of crap is tossed in front of them in the name of entertainment and "reporting". Mine are almost 12 and 14, and their entertainment is still heavily screen. And let me tell you, they know my opinion on "children" dating.

"There going out? Going out where?" I ask. "The lunch room? His locker?" 'Cause at my kids' school, kids have been suspended for kissing on campus. Seriously. They're pretty strict.

I haven't just told them no about dating, they've gotten the whole boring speel about why. Why it's not important, why it makes no sense, why the person you think you like at 12 might not be more than a memory at 18.

I know there are girls they like and who like them. They pass notes, they talk and giggle, and I'm not squashing that. But in the face of "hollywood" I think a parent has to work very hard to keep their kids' heads on straight and help them make sense of the very grown up world around them.

Brynn Paulin, Author of sassy erotic romance. said...

Man...that's the second time I've gone off today. I must have a lot of opinions to share.

Dakota Rebel said...

Hey Brynn, you know the old saying:

"If you don't have anything nice to say...come sit next to me."

You can give your opinions wherever and whenever the heck you feel like it sweetie.

XoXoXo
D

Marie Haynes said...

Couldn't agree with you more, Dakota. As an educator, I see the "adulting" of children every day. Pretty girls dressing like prostetots, sweet boys talking about "doin' the nasty." Terrifies me. What's wrong with kids being kids? Innuendos are fine - we need something for adults as well, but subtle is the key. When did it become shameful to be a virgin?

Lisabet Sarai said...

At the risk of being reviled, I have to comment.

I do agree that the media are irresponsible in their focus on making teens sexual objects. However, I must object that a fifteen year old is NOT a child. She's at an awkward age, no doubt about it, not legally an adult but with sexual yearnings that are even stronger than an adult's. Don't you remember? I was a miserable mass of hormones when I was fifteen, with no real notion of how to cope with those desires. But I was definitely a sexual being, and that's true of most fifteen year olds.

Yes, parading pre-pubescent girls around in tight pants and crop tops that reveal their belly buttons is ludicrous and rather disgusting. But pretending that teenagers are asexual is just wishful thinking on the part of parents who don't want to have to deal with it. (This is NOT directed at anyone here... just a general comment.)

It was maybe easier when kids knew less, the media were more restrained, and society was less permissive. But I don't think that it was ever really as easy as people like to remember.

Dakota Rebel said...

Lisabet,

I totally get what you're saying. We do have a tendency to forget how hard it was for us to go through adolescence. But we didn't have to go through it in the media. We were not role models to younger children who wanted to identify with us.

I just fear that there is going to be this trickle down effect where children younger and younger start wanting to grow up in ways that are not appropriate for their age group.

When my daughter turns thirteen I don't want her talking about how "Sexy" something she is doing is. If you are going to parade someone like Miley Cyrus for these 10 - 12 year olds to look up to, if she and her parents feel she is responsible enough for that burden, then there needs to be some kind of censor attached that keeps her from making comments to the media such as she has been.

Just sayin'. ;)

XoXoXo
Dakota

Crissy said...

Well girl, I so hear where you are coming from. I also have a nine year old daughter and we watch the same shows.

I just wanted to add that I had to block the cartoon network on her T.V. because of the "adult cartoons" that come on.

The cartoon channel is supposed to be for kids. They could have found another network to air those other shows.

I mean come on! Right!

I'm relieved my daughter still isn't into thinking boys are hot or anything like that. But I am preparing for the day.

Molly Daniels said...

I totally forgot to mention my teens taught my toddler a phrase that I'm striving to remove from his vocabulary.

He gets someone's attention and then says it.

Example: "Dakota?"
"Yes, sweetie?"
"You're sexy." (giggles hysterically)

I know he has no concept of what he's saying, but it's very inappropriate for a 4-year-old to be telling teenagers! And I'm just now getting the teens to stop encouraging this. In fact, haven't heard it for a few days. They must be listening to me!

I mean, come on; what happens his first day of school and he says this to a new classmate, in either her mother or the teacher's earshot? "Molly, we have a problem..."

No kidding!

Kay Wilde said...

I agree with all the above which opens another can of worms. Our children are developing physically at a faster rate today. Girls as young as nine and ten starting their periods without the mental maturity to go along with it.

Many believe it could be caused by feeding animals growth hormones that are finding their way into our food supply. Who the hell knows?

Bottom line, the world our children are inheriting is nothing like the world we knew at the same age.

All I can say is that I'm grateful that my children survived childhood relatively unscathed and are now adults. I don't envy those of you who are going through raising the tweens and teens of today.

Kay