This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

7.9.08

Reasons and Seasons

One of my students was multi published long before she took my classes, so I in no way want to take that from her. What I want to share with you is how she found herself again, after being a bit lost.

Just like anything else that grows and occasionally hibernates, we as writers have our seasons, and yours will often differ from mine. Don’t trick yourself into thinking that you never have a down time…or an upswing, that you only have one speed and one growth cycle.

Our writer friend found herself several years older than when she’d first published, and she found herself widowed and floundering for something to do to take her thoughts off of her grief. One of those alone would have sufficed to throw someone off track. What saved her personally and professionally was that she didn’t try ignoring the problems, she simply breathed deeply and worked through them, writing every day, despite the depression and tiredness. She found her reason for writing.

There isn’t some magical ah-ha, folks. There isn’t a cure for what ails you or some writing savior waiting at the end of a tunnel in a filter of bright light. More often than not, writing is more like releasing what has clogged your arteries and other parts, it’s gaseous, foul, dirty, and sticky. Everything is misdirected at first and spews everywhere. And then…*big smile*…you realize that you can control the impulse somewhat. You find your reason for doing it, for looking forward to it. You either do it because you must, and you simply show up for work every day. Or you treat yourself to the privacy and indulgence of writing, and you visit it as if you were visiting a spa. Either way, you find your reason for being there, and once you’ve done that, you find the time and methods to stick with it.

The student I’d mentioned earlier showed up because writing pulled her out of her grief and supplied her with a creative outlet that paid the bills. For others in the class who were there to take notes and come back “some day”, her time, her season was right then. She’s taken a break or two from writing since that class period, but usually she’s at her desk writing something new, something that fuels her energies, not the other way around.

For me, the cooler months are my best seasons for writing. Autumn is when I gather my ideas, tighten my schedule with others, and burrow into what feeds me financially the rest of the year. I approach writing as a job, but the real reason I show up is because writing feeds my soul and makes me feel productive. Warmer months, I feel lethargic after a while. As the temperatures soar, my give-a-damn wilts.

Find your own reasons, and the seasons will reveal themselves.

If you decide you need or want a refresher class on writing erotic romance or simply the interaction with others writing in the genre, there’s a course in October through WritersOnlineClasses.com that I’ll be teaching. Info is here, Writing the Erotic Romance.

Regardless, I encourage you to find your reason and your season, to throw yourself into your writing full force and to ENJOY it!

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

My writing is bi-polar. One week I'm inspired and the words flow through my fingertips like water through a fire hose. The next week it's more like swimming through refried beans. I hit 150 pages in my current WIP this week and I just wanted to pay someone to take away the pain. Here's hoping for the fire hose week next.