This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

10.10.08

Item 347

I have a book called 1001 Things Your Kids Should See & Do (Or Else They’ll Never Leave Home) by Harry H. Harrison Jr. It’s a pretty good book and it’s given me quite a few pointers over the last year or so of things I’d like to address with my kids before that stage when they stop listening for a while.

I just came across item 347. This one says: They need to meet a writer or two and see that second period English just might have a purpose. Truthfully, I think I’ve got this one covered. They live with a writer…they see me at work all the time. My best friend is Bronwyn Green. They see us all the time.

The other day, I was talking to Carol Lynne and my son was absolutely star-struck. “You’re talking to Carol Lynne? She faaaaaamous!” (Mind you, he has no idea what Carol writes. He just knows she’s popular and great at what she does.) Carol, bless her, said “Doesn’t he know what you do?”

Well, yeah… Isn’t it funny that to our families we’re just ______________ (fill in your own blank). You’re just a mom/sis/the wife. There’s nothing quite like a kid to say, “What’s for dinner,” after you’ve announced your new book is out.

Still, you can be surprised… My oldest son informed his teacher that she should ask his mom when he questioned something in English class, “’cause my mom’s a writer, you know.”

So I think I have this one covered. Writers met. They’re well-acquainted with at least six, and if nothing else, they know when it comes to becoming a published writer…it can be done.

3 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Great post! And you're so lucky to have close real-world relationships with other writers. There are many authors who are dear to me, but I know them only electronically.

Kim Dare said...

Lovely post, Brynn. There's nothing quite like family to keep you grounded :)

Your children, sound like they are great kids - and very lucky to see first hand that it can be done.

Molly Daniels said...

My oldest was watching my write one afternoon, and said, "Mom, my English teacher said every paragraph has to have 5 sentences in it. You've got several with only one or 2!"

I replied, "That's why you're taking English; to learn the basic rules so you can later BREAK them!"

Great post!