This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

5.11.08

In Love With Love

I'm in love with love. I know, big surprise.



Even before I fell in love with a real life man (Superman and Batman don't count, do they?) I was in love with the idea of love.



I was romanced and entranced by the idea of romance.

I fell head over heels with superheroes and writing when I was six. I also fell in love with John, Paul, George, and Ringo. Later I was hooked on Mickey Dolenz, then Donny Osmond, and then Mr. Spock, and then David Cassidy. Oh yes, I was man crazy. Totally.

Around the time I was twelve I discovered Harlequin and Silhouette romances. I devoured grocery bags full. My dad brought them home for me from downtown Cincinnati from the used bookstore near where he worked. I'd be first in line to buy the new releases every month.

I was a huge fan of Anne Mather, Violet Winspear, Flora Kidd, and Anne Hampson among others. I wished I could live in the worlds they created, usually somewhere in Europe, Australia, or New Zealand and always with a happily ever after.

I dreamed of meeting my own heroes, of being swept off my feet. I knew love would be perfect, that somewhere out "there" my special someone waited, longing for me.

I believed the books expecting real life romance to be as exciting, adventurous and perfect as all the stories I read. I couldn't wait for my turn. I wanted to know that special feeling now.

I was into tall, dark, and handsome, the darker the brown eyes and hair the better. Yet I first fell for a blond cowboy at the square dance. Boy could he dance and did he ever two step right into my heart.

Eventually I grew up and although I'm still in love with love, my idea of love and romance has evolved. No longer am I 100% certain that there's only one perfect man. I mean, who can honestly choose between Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom or Captain Jack Sparrow and Will Turner? Or Indiana Jones vs. Superman? I'm not sure I can.

And although I love to dream about dashing alpha heroes like Indiana Jones, I'm not sure I'd be too thrilled being stuck at home changing dirty diapers while he's galivanting about the globe surrounded by beautiful femme fatales. In reality, I want a beta who likes to stick around. enjoy my company. and be in my bed every night.

Soooooo...when did you fall in love with love? With romance novels? And have your ideas about love and romance changed over the years?

Oh! Don't miss my next release "Naughty Boys" coming to Total-e-Bound November 24th in time for Christmas.







http://www.ashleyladd.com

http://www.ashleyladd.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Kim Dare said...

Great post Ashley.

I think my ideas about romance change with each story and each character I write about - in fact I think that's one of the things I really love about writing romances.

I don't have to make up my mind and settle on an ideal. I can reinvent what romance means to the characters every time I start a new book :)

jrobe10689 said...

I think I was 11. I had read all that our small library had in the kids section. As for my idea of love, it grows as I get older.

Chris Roberts