This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

22.12.08

My Holiday Slump and the Dip that Saved It

My Holiday Slump and the Dip that Saved It

I don’t know if it’s just because I’m a slacker, but I’m having a devil of a time getting back into my writing after a week-long forced hiatus.


My mother and her boyfriend visited from the West Coast last week and used the spare room, where my computer is. We spent a wonderful time with the children and family. We trimmed the tree, had our annual Christmas party with Mom and Craig as VIPs, and opened a few presents so we could celebrate the season before Mom returned to Oregon.


That first day without writing, I felt like an addict needing a fix. I had to check my emails. I needed to write, if only to blog—which I didn’t. Anything with a keyboard looked perfect to me. But then one day turned into two, then three, and so on, until a week passed and Mom flew home. No one occupied the study/spare bedroom any longer. I had a computer to use once more. Except...I’m wasn't in the mood to write.


What?? Heresy, right? I’m back in that funk, needing to write, yet not having that urge to put words to paper. I mean, I do, but I don’t. I want to finish the story I’m two thirds of the way done, but instead I’m eating too many cookies and reading from my TBR pile. I’m watching videos, renting movies and seeing holiday television shows with the family. I know that’s worthwhile--family time--but I’m dodging the writing I need to get back to.


I know what this is. The ugly writing period I go through each holiday. The kids and husband are home for a solid week. The house is constantly needing cleaning, and presents aren’t going to wrap themselves.


Don’t get me wrong. I love this festive time of year. Unfortunately, no white Christmas for us in Georgia, but the music and the shopping are fun. Santa is everywhere, and people seem to be friendlier and happier than they normally are.


But my creative muse is slacking. Too much eggnog, too many Turtles (a chocolate, carmel and pecan confection that’s addicting), too much reading for pleasure. I’m drunk on liberty and need to rein in my inner slacker.


Hey, one plus. I didn’t forget to post this month! And I’m getting new ideas every day for stories waiting to be written. Now if I could just carve out some more time...


Here’s to a happy holiday, and a wonderful new year to all of you. And for something fun and TOTALLY delicious, my fabulous, famous and favorite recipe.

Artichoke Cheese Dip



Set the oven to 350 degrees. Find a mixing bowl and a 1 ½ quart casserole dish, as well as:

1 cup mayonnaise

1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

2 cups Mozarella cheese, grated

2 (8 ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained and chopped, coarsely

½ cup sour cream

1-2 teaspoons garlic powder

Paprika

In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the Paprika. Mix them well, pour into a casserole dish and sprinkle with Paprika. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Serve warm with wheat crackers, or my personal favorites, sea salt bagel chips.

It’s an easy treat to prepare ahead of time, and gets raves at parties whenever I need to take a dish.


Cheers and happy holidays!



Marie
www.marieharte.com

15 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Yum! That sounds delicious!

Don't beat yourself up about not writing, Marie. A couple of years ago I made a New Year's resolution -- no more guilt. It's counter- productive. You just feel worse about yourself, and then less like writing, it becomes a vicious circle.

Happy Holidays!

Marie Harte said...

Good call, Lisabet. I'll cut myself some slack, but not too much. I'm one of those types that needs discipline, ah, in a work related way. haha

Hope you have a very happy New Year!
Marie

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may begin earning with a sum that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'll be glad to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

The amusing moment

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this worthy article, it's absolutely conspicuous blogs

Anonymous said...

Very quickly this website will be famous among all blogging visitors, due to it's nice articles

Feel free to visit my site ... coffee houses

Anonymous said...

There is certainly a great deal to find out about this
subject. I like all the points you have made.

Feel free to visit my weblog :: http://www.topgoldstorejewelry.com/a-background-in-quick-systems-for-modcloth-Coupon-code/

Anonymous said...

I every time used to study paragraph in news papers but now as I am a user of web so from now I am
using net for content, thanks to web.

Stop by my web page ... goang.alfahosting.org

Anonymous said...

The other day, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iphone
and tested to see if it can survive a twenty five foot drop, just so she
can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now broken and she has 83
views. I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!



my website - wiki.duracomps.com

Anonymous said...

Can I simply just say what a relief to uncover someone who really knows what they are discussing online.
You actually understand how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
More people should look at this and understand this side of
your story. I can't believe you're not more popular because you surely
have the gift.

Here is my web-site http://wiki.softclear.net

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I really enjoyed
reading it, you're a great author. I will make certain to bookmark your blog and may come back down the road. I want to encourage one to continue your great writing, have a nice weekend!

Here is my web page :: www.dilatua.com

Anonymous said...

This post will help the internet visitors for setting
up new webpage or even a weblog from start to end.

Feel free to visit my blog post - source

Anonymous said...

Good web site you've got here.. It's hard to find high-quality writing like yours these
days. I honestly appreciate people like you! Take care!
!

Also visit my web blog Modcloth Coupon

Anonymous said...

Hello all, here every one is sharing these kinds of
experience, therefore it's fastidious to read this webpage, and I used to pay a quick visit this weblog daily.

Also visit my site - click the up coming website page

Anonymous said...

Ϝantastіquе poste, persistez dans cette voie

my page ... femme fontaine mature