This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

22.2.09

The King of the Dictionary Starts With "F"

As a writer, it's my job to put words together to create a story, a picture that titillates, enthralls, and engages the reader. The right word is extremely important when trying to convey an idea. Sometimes, an author takes liberties and creates words. I've done this. I've written about supersoldiers (merging two words into one), about beings who change (note the italics), and my favorite, about future worlds and people. Note: areesia is a flower that only grows in the land of Tanselm (from Guardian's Redemption). In the Vrail System, Raggas are an incredibly strong race of people, from planet Ragga. (From my upcoming release, Creating Chemistry.)
Creations are beings made by science, not the gods, and calling someone a "drun" is the same as calling them an *sshole or sh*t.

But what about our language? Words like tactile, fury, kindle, and erotic all have a bite. They don't roll off the tongue, but jump off, stirring images and creating tension. Call me a geek, but I enjoy looking through the dictionary for new words. When I type, my handy thesaurus sits right next to me. (Unfortunately, MS Word doesn't always offer the best alternatives when I need another word for "sensual.")

George Carlin, a terrific comedian, once did a funny bit about the "Seven Words You Can't Say on Television." The clip below brough him, and this post, to mind. It's hilarious, and speaks about the versatility of one special word, a word that can be used as a noun, a verb, an adjective, and so much more. This word, I believe, is the true king of the dictionary. And it means many things to many different people. So take a gander, and enjoy!

WARNING!! CONTAINS FOUL LANGUAGE.

video

No comments: