This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

25.2.09

You're Never Too Old...


Recently in the news was an article about a woman who was billed for over $1,000 in phone sex calls. The woman recently received a credit card bill addressed to her husband, who died nearly 20 years earlier. She said they never had a credit card, yet an account in his name was charged.

Definitely a case of identity theft.

Moreover, the story definitely got me thinking.

Our culture is geared towards the young and beautiful. Meanwhile, many women I know have said that their sex drives went off the charts in their forties. They say it is because the kids were grown, and the pressure of raising them was gone. So, they have more time on their hands for lots of other stuff. Like…making love with their significant other. They also didn’t have to worry about the kiddies being in the house, and knowing what mom and dad were doing behind closed doors. These women I know have said that it is a very liberating experience, having sex with their significant other – and not having to lock the bedroom door.

When I was a teenager, I remember once trying to imagine my parents having an intimate relationship. Yuk! They were old! How could two old fuddy-duddies like them make love? Well…obviously, they did – at least 4 times because there were my three siblings, and I but to actually imagine my old parents having an active sex life?

No way.

I can certainly now say that in my forties, I felt that feeling of liberation (yes, yes, I know…I’m giving away my age here). First, my children were in their late teens, they didn’t need me in the way that a young child does. Therefore, I had lots more time on my hands. And…here’s another point: Birth control was no longer an issue for me – so, I felt free. Making love took on a whole new meaning. It was like the hubby and I were young kids again.

We could do it whenever we darn well pleased because my kids just weren’t home as much (hey, once my kids started driving, there was no stopping them).

LOL – I’m sure my children are wondering the same thing now about my husband and I… “Do mom and dad do it?” (I can see their snickering faces, and I know exactly how they feel).

Perhaps, that’s why now, at my very (Cough! Cough!) advanced age, I’m writing romance. Maybe that’s why the stories seem to flow from my head onto the paper. There’s something liberating in that, too, to be able to write about love and relationships and making love. I don’t have to worry that my kids are too young – they’re both in their twenties now. I don’t have to worry that my kids’ friends would snicker. In fact, my kids are darned proud of me for my writing accomplishments. And their friends, are, too.

That old saying, ‘The best is yet to come’ is true.

Getting older means getting better.

Hell, the sex sure is!

So, the next time you see a person in their later years walking with just a big more spring in their step, you’ll know why.

You’re never too old.


Catherine Chernow





2 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi, Catherine,

Well put! I'm working on a story featuring a heroine in her fifties.

I wouldn't go back to being in my twenties. Way too hard!

Warmly,
Lisabet

Catherine Chernow said...

Wow! How cool, Lisabet. I'd love to read that story. I think older women are short-changed - we just don't see enough of them as heroines in romance novels & stories.

And...I agree. I don't want to be 20 again. I like the age I'm at right now.

: )

Catherine Chernow
www.CatherineChernow.com