This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

24.3.09

Playing Solitaire Like I'm Getting Paid For It...


I'm nearing the end of the first full-length novel I've ever written (although I've written over a dozen novellas) and am finding myself dragging my feet over the last twenty or so pages.

I write a few sentences, check my e-mail, surf the net, look up a word, try on a different name for my hero, write another sentence, play a game of solitaire, play another, write a sentence...check my e-mail. And I'm at a loss as to what is going on. Usually by this time, I'm so involved in the book that the characters won't leave me alone. I often find myself dreaming about them, and I often can't type fast enough to get the story down. So, what up?

Do I simply not want this to end? No, not at all. On the contrary, I have three or four story ideas that have been circling and waiting to land as soon as this story is finished (I can't write more than one story at a time)

Do I think I'm on the wrong track to the climax of the story, no... Granted, I did have to chop out 3K just the other day when the black moment wasn't black (or gory) enough. That's fixed now...

Honestly, I think I'm afraid to finish this story. The reason being is that I almost always write for the market...and I haven't a clue what to do with this one when it is finished.

It's more a suspense than romance, it's got consummated love scenes, but they are "sweeter" than any I usually write and...well, the list goes on. I know more about what it doesn't fit than what it does. And that's scaring me. Should I finish something I won't be able to sell? Of course I should...and I'm determined to type THE END simply because these two characters deserve their happily ever after.

I've given myself until the end of the month to get to the end of the story...until then, I'm heading back to play solitaire like I'm getting paid for it.

Ericka Scott
www.erickascott.com

Author of The Lady is a Vamp, Forget Me Not, and To Catch a Casanova, now available at Total E-bound

2 comments:

Jamie Hill said...

Spider Solitaire is my downfall. I've heard there are much cooler games available out there on the web, but I don't need more distractions, LOL

You got your monthly blog done. Now go finish that book!

(That works with Jude. Did it help you any?)

*G*
Hugs,

Jamie

Ericka Scott said...

Thanks Jamie -- I did crank out 500 words today...I keep thinking, just five scenes to write (then, there's revision hell, but I'm not going to think about that just yet, ha!)