This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

10.5.09

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. Hope you have a fabulous day doing exactly what you want to do!

We all face obstacles in our lives that interfere with our right, do we not? As a mother of four, I've run into my fair share of them, that's for sure. Because the kids come first. That's just the bottom line. If one of the kids is sick, the writing gets put to the side while I take care of them. No question about it. However I think it's important for them to understand that what I do is important. Yes, I sacrifice a lot because I am a mom, but a mom isn't all that I am. I want to be a good role model for my kids. And I think part of that is showing them that Mom is a person who has hopes, dreams, obligations that have nothing to do with them. While I am and always will be Mom and they are hugely important, I am a person in my own right. And I think anyone who has kids can relate to feeling like you've lost your identity somewhere along the way--you're known as X's mom, and that's it. LOL

The kids all know that Mom writes, and if she's really into it, don't bug her unless there is something on fire or there's a bodily injury. LOL Of course, now that all of the kids can read, I have to be very careful about little eyes peering over my shoulder. Ack. Nothing like a six year old asking what a cock is and why is she sucking it? *insert red-faced, stammering mother here*

I guess, the bottom line, for me, is while being a mom comes first on my list of duties, it doesn't have to be all that I am, and it isn't. And I don't think the kids suffer because of that. I think it does them a world of good to see their mom pursuing her dreams and sticking to it. After all, that's what I want for them. To find what they love and go after it full steam.

Now, in the spirit of Mother's Day, I'll leave you with a little conversation between my 2 daughters. :)

The two girls were sitting at the table and didn't see me in the living room, where I was reading a book. They were discussing their aunt who was pregnant and having horrible morning sickness. The 8 year old was asking why women get sick when they're pregnant. The 10 year old, in all her worldly knowledge stared talking about hormonal changes. LOL She had just had the human reproduction unit in her health class so she was just busting with information apparently. Her sister asked, "All the aunties keep getting pregnant, why doesn't Mommy?" (4 aunts were having or just had babies at that time. LOL). The 10 year old said, "Well, to get pregnant a man and a woman have to have sexual intercourse..."

At this point, I was wondering if I should interrupt, but I will admit to being curious as to what the oldest daughter was gonig to say. She continued, "Mom and Dad no longer have sexual intercourse, because Mom is past her childbearing years." My jaw dropped, because, hey, I'm not that old! My younger daughter asked, "What does that mean?" Her sister responds, "Mom's too old to have more kids, dummy. We already exhaust her."

*sigh* Gotta love kids.

Again, Happy Mother's Day to all the moms!

Hugs,
Jess

www.jessicajarman.com
Waters of Fate, Book Two of The Fey--Coming May 2009

3 comments:

Elle Parker said...

Hee!! That conversation is hysterial - especially the "We already exhaust her"!

Happy Mother's Day!

Elle Parker
http://elleparkerbooks.blogspot.com/

Kim Dare said...

Lol. Love the conversation!

Hope you had a great mothers day :)

Kim Dare.

Lisabet Sarai said...

Jeez, Jess! As they say, out of the mouth's of babes...

I hope that you enlightened them!

Warmly,
Lisabet