This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

25.5.09

Taking Your Own Advice


As a business and personal coach, I'm living the dream, all day, every day. I am fortunate to spend hours with people, talking about their hopes and dreams and goals. Once my client has honed in on the things he or she wants to achieve, we formulate a strategy for achievement.

We'll spend the next sessions focusing, honing, refining, sometimes changing the course, but always we keep the end in mind. We strategize together, talk about "what if," imagine what life will be like when that goal comes tue. Nothing is off limits; thinking big is encouraged!

After a call last week, I hung up feeling strangely dissatisfied. My client was happy; she had a plan and a goal. She was energized, she was creating something new. But I realized I wasn't taking my own advice!

I didn't have a plan of my own, let alone something fabulous with action steps outlined. I wasn't spending time thinking about what I want to accomplish!

Like a cobbler whose children need shoe repairs, I was a coach without a coaching plan in place for my own life. Whatup with that?

And it occurs to me, as a woman, as a busy professional, I, too, get caught up in the 'doing,' rather than exploring, dreaming, thinking, creating, imagining "what if?" I'm so busy on the treadmill that I forgot why I climbed on the machine in the first place.

So my question to you...

You're a brilliant person. Absolutely brilliant. People call you for advice. People come to you with their problems, people listen to you.

You give good advice.

And I'm wondering...what advice are you giving others that you should be taking yourself?

(If you're brave, share it with me. I dare you.)
Lots of love,
Sierra

6 comments:

Kytaira said...

Advice on losing weight. We talk at work about the topic a fair amount. I know what needs to be done.

Talking it and doing it are two veeerrry different things though!

Deena said...

I always advise people to be gentler with themselves, and until very recently, didn't realize it was the exact advice I needed to be taking myself. I'm working on it. :)

Marie Haynes said...

Forgive yourself. I never seem able to do this. I beat myself up for mistakes I made years ago even thought I know I have made what amends I can.

Sierra said...

Kytaira, have you checked out Jillian Michaels' new book "Master Your Metabolism?" Great stuff! We women have a lot of challenges when it comes to losing weight, but Jillian (the trainer on Biggest Loser), has coached a few women to win. I thought that was cool because we think men have an easier go of it. Seriously, though, a lot of it has to do with our hormones. This book is eye opening to me.

Sierra said...

Deena,

Here's a ((HUG)) to encourage you to be as kind to yourself as you are to others.

If you were your own best friend, how would you treat yourself?

Sierra said...

Marie, when we beat up on ourselves, it seems like we may rob today of its joy. Do you agree? I'll resolve to quit beating up on myself, if you will, too?