This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

15.6.09

The Art of the Sex Scene


So, I just finished a draft of the second book in my Downing Brothers Series...whoo hoo! But as I typed the final letters on the page, I found myself feeling exhausted. For once I wasn't suffering from writer's block or writer's exhaustion. This time I found myself weary of the sex scene.
I know. Many of you may be shaking your heads. Weary of the SEX SCENE? Never!
Although some may be raising their eyebrows, I imagine some of you may be nodding with me. As an erotic romance writer, the sex scene is just as essential to the story as the characters and the plot, but sometimes I grow weary of reading and writing engorged lengths (grin) and slick folds (blushing). I love crafting erotic stories, and love watching passion and love develop on the pages between the characters, but right now I'm just trying to figure out how to spice it up. Like any good sex life, how do I keep the magic alive :-)
I wonder if other writers find themselves in the same predicament every now and then. How do you keep the art of the sex scene fresh? And to the reader, what makes a scintillating, titillating, hot sex scene that is as unforgettable as the characters?

3 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi, Nadia,

I know exactly what you're talking about. Writing sex scenes wrings me out. I find myself using the same images again and again - sometimes I feel as though I'm writing the same scene I wrote last week, and the week before.

The solution, for me, is to get away from the physical and focus o the emotions of the characters. It doesn't matter who does what to whom. What's important is the characters' reactions, their mental life including the fantasies triggered by their current situation.

Best,
Lisabet

Nadia Aidan said...

Thanks Lisabet. That is really great advice!

Marie Harte said...

Hey Nadia,

I know just what you mean. I have to be in the right frame of mind to write my more intimate scenes. And at times it's a struggle to be creative without being too flowery (read purple prosey) or too graphic, so as not to repeat my earlier scenes. Let's face it. There's only so many ways tab a goes into slot b. But I find that caging my scenes around intense emotional ones or sexually tense ones helps keep the ball rolling.

When I'm tired of writing about the physical I start a new story or jot down other ideas. I'd be really surprised if any erotic romance author doesn't get tired of writing sex scenes at least once in her/his career.

:) Marie