This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

2.6.09

An era ends

On June 19, 1998, I had the pleasure of meeting Millvina Dean at a Titanic Society Convention in Red Deer, Alberta.

Our conversation was brief~ she asked me what I did as we shoke hands~ and at that time I was teaching. "Ah, an old profession," she said.

"But not THE oldest profession," I said.

Her eyes flashed with laughter. "That's so true."
And that was it. I had met the last survivor from the famed Ship of Dreams. But it was a few seconds I will always hold dear to my heart.

She's gone now. An era ends. Yet the legacy of Titanic continues.

And my life was made richer for having met Millvina Dean.

My country Store

2 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

"Titanic Society Convention"? Ellen, you are always full of surprises.

Your brief but poignant story underlines the fact that all those people in the "past" are real, and clearly not the fuddy-duddies modern culture would have us believe.

Warmly,
Lisabet

Lyn Cash said...

I loved reading this, Ellen. Loved it.