This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

27.6.09

One Year On

On the 30th of June 2008, my first book was accepted by TEB. I've had a wonderful year since then. I've had seventeen titles accepted in total. Nine have already been released.

I've learnt a lot in the last year - every story I've worked on has taught me something different.

Unfortunately, twelve months hasn't been enough to teach me how to make blogger cooperate with both lots of pictures and text at the same time. Which is a pity, because TEB does fantastic cover art!

So, even if blogger is beating me, what have I learnt?

I've come to terms with the fact that if I cry when I write the first draft I will almost inevitably cry every time I try to edit that bit of the story. I still cry when I read one bit of The Gift. On the positive side, blurry vision does wonders for my ability to touch type :)

I've learnt never to say I'm never going to write something. Threesomes being the perfect example. Over the last year I've gone from not being the slightest fan to plotting out a whole series of them. And I've learnt that while the debate about if MMF is better than MFM is very interesting, my favourite will always be MMM.

I've repeatedly proved to myself that I'm incapable of writing anything much shorter than 15k. If written 6 short stories in an attempt to list a free short on the TEB site. I now have 4 novellas and the first two chapters of a full length novel, which is nice, but not what I had in mind.

I've remembered how much I love writing werewolves and vampires. And I've discovered that, yes, I will make up an entirely new set of rules and rituals each time I start a new story with them.

I've learnt to deal with the fact that there are readers who will buy a book marked BDSM and then be surprised and offended when the characters are kinky. And I've learnt that there are other readers who really do believe there is a one true way to kink and any character who doesn't kink according to their exact preference is doing it wrong. And I've learnt to deal with the fact that both types of reader will give my books bad reviews and there isn't the least thing I can do about it.

I've found out that there really is nothing that can compare with the feeling you get when a book is accepted, cover art comes through or a reviewer likes your book.

I've got used to being out of sync with the real world, with writing Christmas stories in the middle of summer and heatwave stories when it's snowing out side.

I've learnt to accept the fact that character will do whatever the hell they want. All I can do is write it down and hope for the best.

I've met a lot of great writers and found out that all the writers I've met through TEB are fantastic and supportive and very kind to new writers on the block. And I've discovered how wonderfully easy a wonderful editor can make everything.

Over the last year, I've learnt a lot. And I've learnt that I still have a lot more to learn to!

It has been a crazy, fun, manic, brilliant year for me. I'm really looking forward to finding out what the next year has in store for me.

What about you? What's your year been like?

Kim Dare.
Kink, love and a happy ending. Do you Dare?

3 comments:

Kris Norris said...

Hi Kim

Congrats on a great first year. Wow, what wonderful accomplishments. And I can say, after reading a few of your books- the perfect timing series- you certainly don't have to worry about bad reviews. They were wonderful. And since you can't please everyone...
I'm just starting the journey, so here's hoping to have a few stories to tell at my one year mark. And I agree, there's nothing quite like the rush of acceptance. (I'm waiting to see cover art, lol) I hope you have a great second go round... though with stories like yours, I'm sure it'll be just as rewarding.
cheers,
Kris

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi, Kim,

I love your post. I've been publishing for more than ten years, and I still learn something new with every tale.

Congratulations on a year with TEB. I wish you many more.

Hugs,
Lisabet

Suzanne Graham said...

Hi Kim,
Beautiful post! I'm so glad I got to know you during your first year at TEB.
Congratulations on writing such great stories.

I heart Kim Dare!
Suzanne