This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

26.6.09

The Power of Focus



I've been learning a lot about the power of focus as we're trying to get things done.

We live in a world of multi-tasking, and I'm guilty, guilty, guilty!

At the gym, I jump on the exercise bike, plug in my headset to the television monitor, scroll through until the Travel Channel shows up, start pedaling, then dial in the workout I want, sit back and open a magazine, well, I sit back after I check my BlackBerry to make sure I haven't missed a text, call, or email in the walk from the locker room. (If I have, I respond!)

When I get home, I power up the computer even as I open the refrigerator to look for something to cook for dinner.

I was grateful when cell phones became readily available, that way I was able to extend my work day another half hour while I drove home.

One drawback I've found...I'm not always as engaged as I could be in what I'm doing.

Yesterday, I shut off the phone and concentrated on a project for an hour. And something amazing happened...I finished the project. I had allotted four hours to the job, but I accomplished it in 60 focused minutes. Without distractions, I was able to finish a job in a quarter of the time it usually takes.

I will probably not stop multi-tasking anytime soon. But I've learned a powerful lesson about the power of single-minded focus.

So that leads me to my question for you...what could you accomplish in a focused, laser-like hour? (I bet you may even astound yourself!)

Hugs, Sierra (who only answered one text message while writing this!)

4 comments:

Jenna Byrnes said...

I get much more accomplished when I don't stop to check email every few minutes, LOL

When I used to write on a computer without internet access, I'm sure I got a lot more written!

Great post, Sierra!

Sierra said...

Jenna! You said a mouthful! And if I didn't refresh Twitter every nine seconds, I'd get more done, too! ;)

You make sense with the comment about writing without Internet access, but the idea of taking out my Internet card.

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi,Sierra,

Actually, I'm not a multi-tasker. Guess it has something to do with the generation I grew up in. (I'll give you a hint - my dearest possession when I was seven was a "transistor radio". With 9 transistors...!)

When I write, though, I have to have the time to focus in. Less than a couple of hours and I won't get much done, because I have to warm up.

Excellent post, and I like the image, too.

Warmly,
Lisabet

Sierra said...

Lisabet, I think you're clearly smarter than I am! Taking that time to focus and be fully present is something I strive for. I need to take a page from your book!

Thanks for the response!