This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

10.7.09

Attraction...And Not The Kind You're Thinking!

So I was pondering what to blog about. I had plenty of ideas but none seemed to fit my mood, as it were.

I finally settled on something my friend Gwen and I have been talking a lot about recently. Our attitudes, and how like attracts like. For example, if you are negative and expect negative things, you will, of course, attract negative things.

Have you ever had to do something—a meeting for work, a family gathering, whatever—that you just dreaded? You’re convinced that it is going to be horrible. You’ll be bored, people will annoy you, the time will just drag on and on and on. *raises hand* It’s happened a time or two for me. ;-) And surprise, surprise, my expectations are met. I was bored, people did annoy me, and the time passed so slowing, I thought the clocks were broken.

Well, one day Gwen and I were talking, and she mentioned a book she was reading about attitudes and like attracting like. It sounded intriguing, and as she read the kept sharing more and more as she read (and it’s an ongoing conversation—she’s not done with the book yet!)

The basic gist of it is, attitude is everything. If you expect bad things, that’s what you’ll get. However, the opposite is true. Expect good things, be positive, and watch what happens. So we started a little experiment between us. No more negativity. And believe you me, we call each other on it.

An example—the other night we were on IM and I was dreading going to bed because I hadn’t been sleeping well lately. I wasn’t looking forward to another night of tossing and turning, poor sleep, and having to drag my tired butt out of bed early with the kids. Which of course doesn’t make a happy mama. Gwen totally called me out, said no negativity. I stopped myself, and thought I’m going to sleep well tonight. My body needs to rest. I’m going to lie down, and wake up refreshed and ready to face the day.

When I lay down later, I kept repeating that in my head, focusing on a good night’s sleep and not letting negative thoughts invade. And guess what? I did sleep well that night. I woke up to the alarm and felt rested. It wasn’t a chore to get up.

I’ve written more and been more productive since “banning” negativity. If I only write 1,000 words that day, even when I’d hoped for more, I don’t beat myself up about it. I think, hey, any day that I got some words in is a good day. I’ve been more patient with my kids. It’s amazing what one change can do in your life.

Now, I’m not pretending that my life is all sunshine and rainbows since trying this positivity thing. I still lose my temper, I still have bad moments and get down on myself. However, I’ve found that I don’t dwell on these things as long. I don’t beat myself up for being a bad mom, wife, daughter, . I tell myself it was a bad moment and I need to move on. Some times this isn’t the easiest thing to do, but it seems to work.

What about you? Do you believe in like attracting like? In the power of the mind? That expecting good things will attract good things to you? Something to think about.

Jess

P.S. The name of the book Gwen is reading, in case you’re wondering is The Law of Attraction by Esther and Jerry Hicks. I need to order my own copy, that’s for sure.


Jessica Jarman
www.jessicajarman.com
“Real Women, Irresistible Men, Endless Possibilites.”

3 comments:

Genella deGrey said...

Jess - Yes, I do believe in law of attraction.

I often ponder why it takes more effort to be positive than it does to be negative. You'd think it would be the same.
:)
G.

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hello, Jess,

You have identified a simple but powerful truths about life. We create what we imagine. The mind is far more powerful than we realize. Negative thoughts create negative outcomes, in my opinion, not just attract them.

It's a spiral either way. Once you begin to think negatively, you experience unhappiness. This reinforces your negative thoughts, which produces more unfortunate events and experiences.

Luckily, if you can move your thoughts in a positive direction, you can reverse the spiral.

Now it's time for me to stop dreading the opening to the story I'm planning, and get started!

Warmly,
Lisabet

Marie Haynes said...

The power of the mind is truly formidable. And yes, I do believe that we can create our own paradise or hell depending upon our mind-set.

Marie