This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

29.9.09

Under the Covers

Does it ever feel like time is moving much slower than normal? That, while some things rush by, others seem to float there, just hanging in the wind, never moving forward? I remember the feeling from when I was a child, waiting for Christmas to arrive. It seemed like everyday was twice as long and the nights seemed to stretch on forever. Then, when Christmas Eve finally arrived, you'd toss and turn and wonder how eight hours could take a lifetime.

Well, if someone had told me I'd feel like that again, and in a good way, I never would have believed them. After all, isn't all the wonder gone?

Oh, I've felt time stand still before. Like when you're waiting for lab results or you're in labour. But I'd thought that the art of waiting on something truly magical was all but lost. Luckily, I was wrong.

Yes, after what seems like forever, I finally got my first two emails of cover art. I have to admit, watching cover after cover appear on the loops and on the website, I started to worry all the great ideas would be used up. An irrational fear, I know, but, since when are fears rational? And then, an email appears out of no where with an image staring back at me. I couldn't believe it. After months of waiting, it was finally here. The cover for my first story due out October 26th as part of the Voracious Vamps series, and the first book in one of my series—Dark Prophecy. Here's the awesome job of Sacred Talisman...



As you can see, it's got that gothic feel oozing out from the building, with the blood red series title dripping along the bottom. I was speechless. I wandered around the house wondering, 'can I flaunt this? Is it final?' I think I bugged everyone with questions about protocol and the like, only to have another fabulous piece of art show up the very next day! It was like having Christmas twice in a row. Now take a look at my other beautiful cover. I LOVE this one like there's no maƱana. Oh, I could just eat the guy in one bite, and I suppose the girl's not too bad either :D


Anyway, it got me to thinking just how much a cover sells a book. I mean, how many of us actually pick up a novel if the site of it turns our stomach. Or if we look at it only to discover the image isn't about anything in the book. Like editors, cover artists are behind the scene warriors, always fighting for us without us really knowing they're there. Sure we send back an email saying, 'I love it', but does that really say it all? Without a great cover, a perspective reader might never read the blurb, let alone read an excerpt. The cover is your first impression, and as the commercial always reminds us, "You never get a second chance to make a first impression."

So I'd just like to say thanks to all the unsung heroes of the publishing world. To the editors and final line editors... to the cover artists and proofreaders... to those who make decisions everyday, all with the author's best interest in mind, even though they've never met them.

Oh, and the best part... I've still got that "excited waiting feeling." In just under one month I'll have my first ever published story... who knew waiting could take so long.

Cheers,
Kris
Romancing life...one adventure at a time.



1 comment:

Genella deGrey said...

You really lucked out with those covers, hon!!
Beautiful!
:D
G.