This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

21.11.09

Research Hits a New High

Research Hits a New High Thanks to Northbound Leather


I have to say that Toronto is an amazing city and I absolutely love going there to do research. In my Kaenar Langford persona, as an author of male/male erotic romance, look where I've been allowed entrance. I've toured Spa Excess, the largest gay spa in the city and spent a day at Bent Inn, a gay, bondage bed and breakfast as well. But a few weekends ago, I went on the mother of all research assignments. I went to an incredible fetish night put on by Northbound Leather.


Last year the annual event caught my interest, but I wasn't able to attend. This year was going to be different. This year I was going to be there. Believe it or not, I was a bit apprehensive about going to Tribe, an event Skin Two billed as 'the world's biggest single fetish night'. The picture on the Northbound Leather publicity postcard didn't do much to alleviate any of that apprehension.



See what I mean.

Even though my fetish experience is slim, my curiosity isn't and I made plans to attend.

This was Northbound Leather's 13th edition of what has become the world's largest fetish party. Each year the event has a different theme and 2009's was Tribe. And I was there. Along with two thousand other people, who came together at The Sound Academy for dancing and dungeon play, and all dressed to highlight their particular fetish. Here's a description of what the whole thing was about.


THEME and FASHION SHOW DETAILS:

Tribe is the story of a young man’s journey or rite of passage into manhood. He will be put through initiation ceremonies, which he must pass in order to be a full-fledged member of the tribe.

Some of those activities include:

- Bullwhip/Flogging
- Swordsmanship
- Play Piercing

- Fire Play

- Corseting
- Blood Sports/Cutting

Be prepared to have your senses overwhelmed with true fetish fantasies awakened.


Be prepared to join people from all over the world expressing their deepest desires in the way they dress and play at this once a year spectacular event.


Be prepared for the BIG ONE.


Now you see why I was a little bit apprehensive. But there was absolutely no reason for that apprehension. The whole thing was just incredible. The party started at 9:00 at night and dancing went until 6:00 the next morning. I left about two o'clock when my poor feet couldn't stand another minute in the high boots I was wearing.


As soon as I got there, I wandered around looking at all the amazing people, waiting for the fashion show that was to start at 11:00. Sean John Maggs (that's his Facebook name) generously allowed me to use some of his photos of people in the huge crowd.



























While we were all mingling in the huge, cavernous expanse of The Sound Academy, those who had paid the price of a VIP ticket were being wined and dined upstairs. They also had their own play area. Thank you to Miklos Legrady for the wonderful images of the VIP area. I love the shot of the Toronto skyline through the window above the fireplace.


























Miklos also took some great shots of the dungeon area on the main floor.


















Just after 11:00, the stage lights went down and I could see movement onstage. People were getting into place to begin the fashion show. The lights went up and this is what we saw onstage.






As my brain registered what it was seeing, I remembered the call that went out for people to take part in the 'fashion show'. The look for the models is real people who have tattoos, piercings, scarification, branding, alternative looks and body modification. Real people are being used, not models, to fit the bill.


What followed was not a fashion show like any I've ever seen. It was an erotic, provocative, incredibly elaborate, sexy stage show following a young man’s journey or rite of passage into manhood. The audience was captivated as we went along for the ride and what a wild ride it was. Remember the activities listed above? Bloodletting, cutting, fire play etc This is where they all came into play to provide an absolutely unforgettable experience for the audience. The 'actors' gave an incredible look at the array of people who move through a world in which I have very little experience.


Thanks to Sean's wonderful photographs, I'll take you through the journey we went on: Tribe.



















































































































It was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. Northbound Leather put on an absolutely amazing show and I can't wait for next year.

Oh, did you wonder what I wore? What's my fetish? I'll post some photos and yes, it really is me.






















I have no idea what story will come out of this amazing adventure or when. But I have to say that going to Toronto always makes for interesting writing.


Thank you to Northbound Leather for hosting such a mind-blowing event and to Sean and Miklos for allowing me to use their photos. I hope the photos have come through all nice and evenly spaced like they were when I set up the page.


Don't forget to check out Indulge Me, my story in the Naughty Nooners anthology. It takes place in the largest gay spa in Toronto. Here's the blurb.


Indulge Me:

Keane Daniels has received an anonymous note summoning him to Indulgence, one of the largest gay spa and bathhouses in Toronto. Since he's in unrequited lust with his boss, Keane thinks a clandestine tryst might just take his mind off his gorgeous colleague.

Rayche Marquette has wanted Keane since hiring him, but being his boss means Keane's off limits...until Rayche decides he can wait no longer and reserves the Wet Area of the spa so the two of them can spend a Naughty Nooner together.

Rayche and Keane meet in the elegant shower area, but when Keane discovers the sender of the note is his boss, his reaction is not what Rayche expects. Keane rebuffs him, thinking the lunch hour adventure is a lark for Rayche, a meaningless liaison. For Keane, that can never be enough with this man. How can he convince Rayche to turn their Naughty Nooner into a lifetime commitment?


See you next month,

Kaenar

Tales to seduce and entice...

www.kaenar.com


13 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Holy Hellfire, Kaenar!

Truly amazing and a bit scary too.

Thanks for educating us!

(You look great, too. Maybe not as extreme as some of the attendees, but definitely in the spirit!)

Hugs,
Lisabet

kaenar said...

Hey Lisbet,
I've been at The Everything To Do With Sex Show here in Toronto all weekend, so I hadn't had a chance to see the post. I'm delighted the photos came through so well and give an idea of what this amazing event was like. I can't wait to see what Northbound Leather has in store for next year.
Kaenar

Savannah Chase said...

OMG girl you looked hot all decked out, wish I had seen you in person. I almost did not recognize you...Wow....you must deck yourself out like this again when we hit the next event...

Great post by the way, looks like you had a amazing time...

kaenar said...

Hey Savannah,
I bought all the facial accoutrements and was able to pretty accurately reproduce the look for The Everything To Do With Sex Show this past weekend. It's amazing what happens when you dress up and look 10 years younger. The women I was with said it was okay for me to pick up younger men, but I had to put them down right away. LOL
I missed you. We had such a blast there last year. Tribe was incredible. This is definitely an event I'm going to next year!!!
Kaenar
www.kaenar.com

Kathy K said...

Whoa! Gotta say that's a side of life that I've never imagined never mind having seen. But it sure is ... wow, I'm kinda lost for words. Again, it constantly amazes just how different, yet how similar people are.
What a fascinating look at a world that is very new-to-me.

kaenar said...

Hey Kathy,
Thanks for commenting. I really was apprehensive and I'm not sure why. I guess just fear of the unknown, but it was an incredible event. You need a buddy with you to walk about with and talk to. I'm already looking forward to next year.
P.S. My older son is at U of A this year doing a Master's Degree in Multimedia. Nice to meet a fellow Canuck.
Kaenar
www.kaenar.com

george-allwynn said...

Hey there Kaenar!

It's me - George Allwynn... the aspiring M/M writer... oh, now you remember! The really weird one you met in October...

WHY DIDN"T YOU E-Mail me that you were going?!?!? I would have gone with you in a heart beat!

The pictures were awesome - and I am soooo jealous! You have to keep me informed of these things so I can go and play!

On another note - WOW! You got a serious hair cut and dye job! You look so much younger than what you did at RomantiCon!

I would have never recognized you in a million years! If I could wolf whistle over the Internet, I'd do it in a heart beat! HOT? Hell!- Damn girl, you Sizzle!!

I read Just being Neighborly a couple of weeks ago - I loved it! You are really good at writing BDSM!

Okay - now that I've drooled all over the keyboard, I'm now returning to my never ending world of of learning to write querys and synopisis..

Have a great week!

kaenar said...

Hey George,
You never need to explain who you are. I recognize your name as soon as I see it and it conjures up such wonderful memories of RomantiCon. Go to the Northbound Leather website and see what they have listed. There's a big fetish night in February that I'm hoping to get to. Check it out.
Same hair under there somewhere and a wonderful woman at a Toronto Shopper's Drug Mart did the incredible makeup for me although I bought all the necessary stuff and was able to recreate the same look for the Everything To Do With Sex Show in Toronto this past weekend.I even managed to put on false eyelashes. It's like donning a cloak of invisibility or something and strange things happen to men when I change into my alter ego costume. A young guy begged me to let him be my sub. It was wonderful. I felt like superwoman or cyberdom or something.
I'm trying to figure out what to write after going to this incredible fetish night from the blog post. I guess you'll just have to wait and see what it is.
Keep in touch,
Kaenar
www.kaenar.com

Devon Rhodes said...

Wow Kaenar! Thanks for all the pics, what an education!

And you look fabulous, nice gams! ;) Wish I could wear boots like that, alas, I inherited my Dad's monster calves.

kaenar said...

Hey Devon,
That's so funny. I just posted a comment on your blog.
The event was amazing and I'm really into the alter ego disguise now. Can't wait for the next event. Actually, I let her out to play at The Everything To Do With Sex Show this past weekend in Toronto. She had a blast.
Kaenar

Jenna Byrnes said...

I would never have guessed that was you, chickie. Lovely costume. But my, oh, my...the places you find yourself! Some of those pictures scared me. *G*

Hugs,

Jenna

Suzanne Graham said...

Hey, Kaenar!
What an incredible transformation of your look with the hair! You look amazing! Not that you don't normally look great with your regular hair. Jeez! That came out all wrong.

Anyhoo! Thanks for the great post. You must have courage of steel to do that kind of research. Thanks for sharing with us.

Suzanne

Natasha A. said...

I missed this event, but it looks amazing! I will definitely have to try and make it next year!