This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

23.11.09

Time to be Thankful

It's that time of year again. Time to be thankful for what we have received. I've had an incredible year full of ups and downs, but still I'm thankful for my family, my home, my job, my health, and the health of my family. (Whew, does that about cover it?) *grin*

I'm also thankful for my publishers who have gone out of their way this year to support me. I can't say enough what that support has meant. So, thanks to everyone at TEB including Claire, Nicki, Janice, Jessica, and all the other hard working staff, editors, proofers, cover artists and authors. And of course I'd like to thank the readers, who make it all possible.

This is starting to sound like an acceptance speech so I'll just close with some reasons why I'm thankful to my mother. She'll never read this, and it's probably just as well. But I had to share!

Subject: 25 REASONS I OWE MY MOTHER FOR MY EDUCATION

1. My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE.

'If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I've just finished cleaning.'

2. My mother taught me RELIGION.

'You'd better pray that will come out of the carpet.'

3. My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL.

'If you don't straighten up, I'll knock you into the middle of next week!'

4. My mother taught me LOGIC.

‘Because I said so, that's why.'

5. My mother taught me MORE LOGIC.

'If you fall off that swing and break your neck, you're not coming

shopping with me.'

6. My mother taught me FORESIGHT.

'Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident.'

(Note from Jenna: This really happened to me. The one accident I was in, I was wearing ratty underwear and I was embarrassed! Boy, was mom right on this one!)

7. My mother taught me IRONY.

'Keep crying and I'll give you something to cry about.'

8. My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS.

'Shut your mouth and eat your supper.'

9. My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM.

'Just look at that dirt on the back of your neck!'

10. My mother taught me about STAMINA.

'You'll sit there until all that spinach is gone.'

11. My mother taught me about WEATHER.

'Your room looks as if a tornado went through it.'

12.. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY.

'If I've told you once, I've told you a million times. Don't exaggerate!'

13. My mother taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE.

'I brought you into this world, and I can take you out of it.'

14. My mother taught me about BEHAVIOUR MODIFICATION.

'Stop acting like your father!'

15. My mother taught me about ENVY.

'There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do.'

16. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.

'Just wait until your father gets home.'

17. My mother taught me about RECEIVING.

'You are going to get it when you get home!'

18. My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.

'If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they are going to stay that way.'

19. My mother taught me ESP.

'Put your sweater on; don't you think I know when you are cold?'

20. My mother taught me HUMOR.

'When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me.'

21. My mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT.

'If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up.'

22. My mother taught me GENETICS.

'You're just like your father.'

23. My mother taught me about my ROOTS.

'Shut that door behind you. Do you think you were born in a barn?'

24. My mother taught me WISDOM.

'When you get to be my age, you'll understand.'

25. My mother taught me about JUSTICE.

'One day you'll have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you.'

-----------------------------

LOL - Okay, I have kids, and they turned out better than I could have imagined. But it's a great time of year to stop, reflect and be thankful, even if it is a bit tongue-in-cheek.

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it!

~ Jenna

10 comments:

susan said...

Oh How many of these were my mother's famous sayings..I know now I was raised by the same schooled person as you were. Thanks for the fond memories of hearing some of these again and at a special time. My mother passed away 46 years ago but so much that is done for thanksgiving day are things she taught me and is still done every year. Some habits sticks with a person. Happy Thanksgiving to you and don't forget "clean your plate ..there are kids out there who would love what you are throwing away" ha susan L.

Jenna Byrnes said...

Hey Susan! Thanksgiving really is a time of year for family traditions, and remembering loved ones.

I believe it was the nuns who told us the starving kids in China would love to have the cafeteria food we threw away. At the time, we wished we could give it to them!

Thanks for popping in and Happy Thanksgiving! (No worries about cleaning my plate these days, LOL)

Hugs,

Jenna

Susilien said...

I love the humor and love in that list of 25. My mother taught me nearly every one of those. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I to am blessed beyond saying.

Jude Mason said...

Jenna, I hope you and your family have a really wonderful Thanksgiving. We forget how fortunate we are until something is taken away. Ain't that the truth. I know you've had one heck of a year and you've come out shining.

Oh, my mom always mentioned the ears. You know, 'you could grow potatoes in those ears.' so maybe add gardening to the list. Hehehe!

Hugs

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi, Jenna,

Thanks for the grins!

Actually the one time I was in an accident I wasn't wearing underwear... talk about embarrassing!

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

Hugs,
Lisabet

Devon Rhodes said...

Sounds like you don't need the holiday to feel thankful and that's a wonderful thing. Happy Day nonetheless! And thanks for the fun post!

Jenna Byrnes said...

Happy Thanksgiving Susilien! I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday.

Hugs,

Jenna

Jenna Byrnes said...

Jude,

I guess it's always good to stop and take stock of what we have, not just what we've lost or the problems we've had.

Sometimes it's harder to do, though.

Hugs! I'll eat some turkey for you.

Jenna

Jenna Byrnes said...

Lisabet, that bit of information does not surprise me about you, LOL

Nah, you're a fun person to tease, and I'm pleased to count you among my friends.

Take care.

Jenna

Jenna Byrnes said...

Hey Devon,

Thanks for commenting. Have a great holiday!

Jenna