This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

7.12.09

Talk Dirty To Me

The headline reads: 'Whatever' so totally tops most annoying word poll. The popular slacker term of indifference was found "most annoying in conversation" by 47 percent of Americans surveyed in a Marist College poll released in early October.

"Whatever" easily beat out "you know," which especially grated a quarter of respondents. The other annoying contenders were "anyway" (at 7 percent), "it is what it is" (11 percent) and "at the end of the day" (2 percent).


I think the most annoying word is NO. Except in French. The French can say damned near anything and make it sound remarkable. Even the word ‘fuck’ is cool in French. “foutre le camp” or “fous le camp” – fuck off. Right?


According to my favorite book of definitions and terminology…I Hear America Talking…the word ‘fuck’ is Old English and has been around since the fifteenth century and is derived from the Germanic ficken/fucken, meaning to strike or penetrate. There’s no reason the word should be dirty, of course, but then we Americans can make damned near anything dirty.


I think one of the reasons I enjoy the word fuck so much is because you can conjugate the shit six ways to Sunday.


Expletive? Fuck you.
Exaggeration? Fuuuuck.
Noun = fuck
Verb = fucking
Exclamation = FUCK!
Gerund = fucking
Infinitive = to fuck
Adjective = fucking
Adverb = fucking
Alliteration = fuck a duck


There are just a million fucking ways to use this versatile word. I can even tolerate my least favorite word when it’s coupled with my favorite one. I rather like to give this response when someone asks me something that requires a negative answer.


Mind if I talk dirty to you?


Fuck, no. Be my guest.


So what are your favorite and least favorite words?

3 comments:

Marie Haynes said...

Fabulous post!!! Let's see - I hate the word Cunt but love the word nipple - oh - and plethora.

Devon Rhodes said...

Whatever makes me grit.

Love the word fuck, it just rolls off the tongue. Unfortunately with two kids under 7, I've had to stifle. :) The good thing is I get to use it in dialogue...especially love it in the middle of a hot scene between two men, drawn out.

Lyn Cash said...

You two crack me up. :) Love your responses - thanks for playing along.