This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

24.2.10

My Last Day As A Thirty-Something


My first grader took this around the holidays. It's the most recent I have since I'm usually the one on the other side of the camera. Go ahead and zoom in if you like, I don't mind.

Yes, it's my last day as an official card-carrying "thirty-something". Remember that show? I thought they were so old and kinda boring. It would be interesting to go back now and watch it, having gone through my thirties, been married, had kids, jobs, houses, all that jazz.

It's funny: I don't feel forty. Not by a long shot. I mean, I look in the mirror and I do see wrinkles, oh, excuse me, laugh lines...which don't go away anymore when I stop laughing. But other than that deserved result of too much baking in the sun as a teen, I still just see...me.

I don't see the tell-tale physical signs which make up the stereotype of someone advancing in age. Most of the time, I have no makeup on (don't really need it) and my hair back in a ponytail (haven't surrendered to the convention that 'older' women should have short hair). No sign of grey in said hair. My vision's still perfect, so no glasses, reading or otherwise. I spend time on the floor with the kids and don't grunt or groan when I get up.

As for the way I act? I can sing along with the same music my teenaged nieces are listening to. I still run. I make it out on the dance floor at every wedding or event, and usually close down each set. My social views are more enlightened rather than becoming more conservative. And I probably feel sexier now than ever before.

I've come to the conclusion that age is truly a state of mind. And my mind? Is pretty oblivious to the black-and-white evidence on my driver's license. Yeah, it's there, but not gonna hide it, or kvetch or moan. Not my style.

And maybe, just maybe, it's thoughts like that which keep me "young" in the first place.

Instead of a black-balloon birthday, I'm hitting Forty and Fabulous tomorrow. Happy birthday to me! :)

16 comments:

Ayla Ruse said...

I love your upbeat attitude! I'll turn forty myself later this year and it's refreshing to hear the positives as opposed to all the negatives this birthday usually touts. Way to go!

Kathy K said...

Congratulations! I'll be 51 this year and I've got a LOT of grey in my hair... and I do have to make a bit more of an effort to get up off the floor, but I don't feel old in the way that I thought I would once I hit the half-century mark.
I'm still me on the inside; I listen to so many different kinds of music, I collect anime trading cards, I'm a book whore, and I've got a growing collection of Japanese-language English-subbed anime.
Truthfully, I'm waiting for the days when I feel grown up the way that my parents always seemed to be. But looking back now, I'm not sure they didn't have the sense of fun, of youthfulness that I have now. But then, I always thought they were old.
It's amazing how young my mom is now... at 73 she seems to be a little younger every year. *grin*

LOVE the post Devon... and what a gift it is to still feel who you are... regardless of the number!

elaineg0707 said...

Well, Happy Birthday Devon! I turned forty last year, and thought it was going to be awful, but I am much like you.....I don't think I LOOK 40, and how is 40 supposed to look anyway? It helps that I have a 7 year old, he SO keeps me young....as does his daddy, who is 45, but looks 30 and acts 12 lol! We really are only as old as we feel, and I still love to rock out, goof off, play and generally have fun. As a matter of fact, I think I am a more fun person than when I was in my 20's! Sounds like you love life and are enjoying it to the hilt! YAY!

Bronwyn Green said...

Happy Birthday my darling, Devon!!!

I love your outlook - absolutely love it! I'm looking at 43 in June, and you know what? It looks pretty damn good!

Eyre said...

Happy birthday!

Most days I don't feel my age. Elaine is right--we are only as old as we feel. I've been 29 for the past 5 years. I was going to turn 30, finally, this year, but the BFF said that she isn't ready for 31. Since I'm a year younger, I can't change.

Ava March said...

I hope you have a fantastic and fabulous 40th birthday!!!

I don't feel my age either. I feel maybe 28. Like Kathy said, I keep waiting for the day to come when I feel like a grown up, but that hasn't come yet. Hopefully it never does :)

Hugs and happy birthday!

Devon Rhodes said...

Glad to lead the way in a positive fashion for you, Ayla! 1970 was a good year...and I love the easy math, don't you? :)

Devon Rhodes said...

Hi Kath! I know what you mean, as I said over on the boards, sometimes I feel like I'm playing at being a grown up, like acting a part. :) You're a great example of living a full life, and to heck with the number.

Devon Rhodes said...

I agree Elaine, kids do keep you young! Mine are 7 and 3, plus my own hub is such a doer, we're always out and about (which plays havoc with my writing schedule, but that's a whole 'nother thing!) Thanks for your great, positive post!

Devon Rhodes said...

Hey Bron! Glad to join the club with you! As Brynn said, welcome to the dark side--you have cookies...that's it...I'm so in. I've seen you guys' cookies. ;) Wait, that doesn't sound quite right...

Devon Rhodes said...

Eyre, you're 29 and holding. I think my bio has me at 39 and holding. After all, forty is the new thirty, or so I've heard. I might have to change that tho, I like round numbers. :)

Devon Rhodes said...

Hi Ava, thanks babe! :) You and I are the same age then, cuz if I was pressed to choose an age I "feel", I would have chosen around 28 as well. :)

Lisabet Sarai said...

Happy day, Devon dear!

Only forty? You're still a sweet young thing, lady! I'm 57 and still going strong. Hopefully you will be too, in the many years it takes to get to that stage!

I'm very close to my eighty seven year old aunt. She tells me that she still feels like she's in her twenties. That it's a shock to look in mirror (though for her age she actually looks great).

Age is just a meaningless number. We are all young in spirit.

Hugs,
Lisabet

Delicious Romance From Cerise DeLand said...

40. Ah.
Each age has its beauties.
And benefits!
And staying healthy includes an interest and devotion to great sexual experiences.

Devon Rhodes said...

Thanks Lisabet, and I enjoyed your anecdote about your aunt. So far I'm still in my 20s in my head as well, that's great that she feel that way in her 80s!

Devon Rhodes said...

Hi Cerise *grin*, don't worry, I'm a devotee of continuing to expand my sensual horizons. ;)