This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

14.2.10

My thoughts on this Valentine's Day

The day for lovers, that’s what all the books say, right? February 14th, the day Cupid shows up with his arrows and boink, we fall head over heels for our true, perfect love.

According to Wikipedia, and Roman mythology, Cupid (Latin cupido, meaning "desire") is the god of erotic love and beauty. He is also known by another one of his Latin names, Amor (cognate with Kama). He is the son of goddess Venus and god Mercury.

In popular culture Cupid is frequently shown shooting his bow to inspire romantic love, often as an icon of Valentine's Day.

So, why do we modern humans need to set aside one day, out of all 365 of them, to honor our love? According to Wiki, Cupid struck at pretty much anytime and anywhere, so what’s with this day thing? I can’t say as I’m too fond of the idea of being shot with an arrow, but if that’s what it takes… Gulp!

Honestly, the legends and folklore don’t really do it for me. Perhaps when I was younger and more susceptible to that kind of thing it may have got a smile from me, or not.

I think the pressure for both men women to live up to that ideal romantic evening/perfect gift/dinner…whatever, on that one day is complete insanity. A woman might expect her man to bring home roses and chocolates, take her to a fine restaurant and perhaps propose to her, all on that one day. If, heaven help the guy if he forgets, as some men do, it’s Valentine’s Day. He’s lost any brownie points he’s made in the previous year, or more.

The buildup created by all the advertizing makes it even worse. Fancy perfumes, cars, flowers, gorgeous people with their gorgeous lifestyles are far beyond the regular Joe’s. His lady might want the dream, but there’s no way he can deliver.

It goes both ways. The fellow sees Ms Perfect lounging in a bubble bath in the bathroom to die for. Her hair is perfectly pinned and poofed, her nails are long and lacquered, and she’s the most eye catching bit of eye candy he’s ever had a wet dream over. How can any woman compete with that?

In my opinion, I’d much rather be surprised in mid-October with a glass of wine, a bubble bath waiting and soft candles lit in the bathroom. If hubby appears and offers to rub my back, I’m in heaven. No build up. No one prompted him. And I know he’s doing this because he loves me.

Give me that special unexpected evening by the fireside over an over commercialized, impossible to acquire event that will cost more than it should and I’ll be one very content lady.

And on that note, I'll withdraw gracefully and hope you'll share your feelings on the topic.

Hugs

Jude


- - -

*Jude Mason – Readers needed: Come, explore with me…if you dare*

Website: http://www.my-haven2001.com
Newsletter: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Jude_Masons_Newsletter/

To join my mailing list, email me: jude.mason AT yahoo.ca

6 comments:

Pauline B Jones said...

I never put any pressure on the hubby to deliver the romantic moment on Valentine's Day. Don't want that pressure for myself. LOL!

And he's a great husband for most of the year, why should he get beat up for being a guy on 4/14? LOL!

JP said...

You hubby sounds like a classy guy, Jude - juvenile sense of humour and all! Who needs a special Valentine's day with him around? Me now, I like the candy - trouble is, I'd like it every day!

Ayla Ruse said...

*sigh* I am in complete agreement with you, Jude. My husband and I have never gone out of our way for each other on this day. Resturants are overcrowded, flowers are overpriced and the candy that's pushed is too much the not-good-enough kind. How romantic is it to wait three hours for a Valentine's Day "special dinner" at some resturant? Or to get chocolates that taste three years old?

No, we might buy some candy for the kids - they get a kick out of it - but we reserve the right to romance each other on those mean-nothing days. It turns out meaning so much more.

Verb said...

Couldn't agree more. All these "days" Mothers, Fathers Valentines and now even Grandmas and Granddads are simply marketing ploys and the original meaning has been lost. As a couple we don't take part in Valentines day. Many years ago we married on the nearest Saturday to the 14th Feb, but that's always been pretty we our only concession to it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi, Jude,

An interesting point, and I guess I agree with you. The unexpected little gesture means far more than one dictated by a certain date.

Warmly,
Lisabet