This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

10.3.10

My muse isn't cooperating...

...and bribes of chocolate aren't working.

Yes, I've been staring at the dreaded blank page today. And I don't like it one bit. I'm working on the next book in my series, The Fey. I thought this would be an easy one to write--I've had this story in my head for so long, since I wrote the first book. Well, that isn't working out the way I thought.

I'm not letting it get me down though. I'm going to muscle through it. I've found that's the only way through it for me. I've talked to other authors who have said they'll take a break when they hit a block. They'll take a day off and come back fresh. That's a great thing for them and works...for them. :) I can't do that, because for me, if I take a day, it'll quickly turn into three, or five, or more days with no writing. A pitfall of a very busy life. I'm a mom of four and have a day job so my writing time isn't something I can walk away from. I can ALWAYS find something else that needs my attention. LOL And I know I can't be the only one with this problem. Please tell me I'm not the only one! :-D

So I'm plowing ahead and just writing. I think at this point most of what I'm writing will end up cut or severely revised when I go back, but I'm getting it down. I can't "fix" a blank page, but I can fix a crappy sentence.

One thing that does help is just talking it out. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of pretty awesome writing friends who are willing to talk through a tough scene or plot point. And if all else fails, there's the hubby. Poor suffering soul, he is, he's had to listen to me talk it out. Just through ideas out there--often vetoing them as soon as they're out of my mouth. He is always a good sport about it and plays along.

So, watch out, muse. I'll wrestle with you and I WILL get my words written today. And probably be revising them tomorrow. :-D

Have a great week everyone. I'll be enjoying the hint of spring we are blessed with here in Minne-snow-ta. I'm foolishly hoping it's the real deal and we won't get any more of the white stuff. :)

~J

www.jessicajarman.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jude Mason said...

Hi Jessica,

You're definitely not alone. I find that if I allow myself to walk away from writing for too long, I have a hell of a time getting back into the swing of it.

What I'm thinking, though, is you've had this particular story on the back burner for so long it's intimidating you a little. You've built it up in your thoughts and because you know it so well, you're kind of afraid you'll mess it up when you actually put it down on 'paper'.

I may be completely off here, but that's happened to me. And, sitting down and forcing myself to write it was how I got over it. The edits were outrageous, but I'm not an edit hater.

Good luck and I know you'll muscle your way through. That's all part of being a professional.

Hugs

Jess said...

Whew, glad I'm not alone. :)

And you might be on to something, Jude--that I'm a bit intimidated. I've been "living" with these characters for a long time, and I want to get their story just right. :)

I did manage to get some words written last night and will get some more done tonight as I wait for kids to complete activities. So muscling through, for sure! :)

Hugs.

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi, Jess,

I'm going through a similar phase right now. Everything I write seems horrible, cliched and repetitious and just plain boring. I've learned that the only solution is to ignore the inner critic. As you say, you can fix a bad sentence but not a blank page.

Best,
Lisabet

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

hiya i am new on here i am into [URL=http://www.mydjspace.net]dj mix[/URL] in my un-used time. I hope to be able to help on this forum and hope to stick around!

Thx's.