This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

27.5.10

Light Bulb Moments

Question for everyone: At what point should a person start to feel like a real writer?



When they get their first idea for a book?

When they finish that first draft?

Fnishing editing their first story?

Finishing a story over a certain length?

The first rejection letter?

The first acceptance letter?

First e-book going on sale?

Tenth e-book?

Twenty-fifth e-book?

First print book going on sale?

Hold their first print book in their hands?

First piece of fan mail?

First good review?

First bad review?

First royalty check?

First royalty check over a certain value?

When they start to write full time?

When someone asks them what they do for a living and they say their a writer?

When someone introduces you to a stranger as a writer?

Published for a year?



I think it has to vary a lot for all different people. A huge milestone in one person's mind probably isn't even a blip on someone else's radar.

When did I start to feel like a writer?

1 pm on Friday 21st May 2010.

I have no idea why. I was just sitting at my computer, editing away when all of a sudden, it hit me. For the first time I really felt like a writer.

Not just someone who writer, but like a writer. The difference between the two is hard to discribe, but in that moment, I felt a little something inside me change.

No drum roll, no flashing lights, not even a trigger I can put my finger on. Just, all of a sudden, I felt like a "real" writer. It's a nice feeling.

So, for anyone out there who writes - what was your light bulb moment? Please leave a comment and let me know. And readers - when do you consider someone to be a real writer - I want to know what you think too!

Take care everyone,

Kim Dare
Kink, love and a happy ending. Do you Dare?

1 comment:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi, Kim,

I think that for me it was when I held my third novel in my hot little hands. Once was a fluke. Twice, well, maybe just luck. But the third one was testimony that I could continue to produce work that was good enough to sell.

Best,
Lisabet