This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

26.5.10

Working Together



I recently had the opportunity to collaborate on a writing project with two very talented writers. I was honored to work with both of them, not only for the book we created, but for the amount of energy, enthusiasm and brain power that was brought to the endeavor.

In addition to being talented, each author has other talents, like the way she interacts with fans, with reviewers, with other people. Each writer brought a unique perspective. One provided a fantastic “map” of the primary location so that we had a great visual. Another wrote out vivid character descriptions that kept us all on target.

The book is better for it being a collaborative experience.

The work of an author is often solitary, and because of that we can miss out on the opportunities that come with being part of a team.

I’ve decided to seek out more opportunities for working with others. My web designer has ideas I couldn’t dream up. My proofreader asks me questions that make me go, “Oh, yeah. Duh.” My editor here at TEB is highly valued for her insight.

Because of this great experience, I’ve decided to seek out more opportunities to work with talented people. (Don’t get me wrong, there are instances were collaborating with the wrong people can bring disastrous results.)

It can be difficult to reach out to others with ideas, but, wow, after this experience, I’m willing to take the risk!

2 comments:

Marie Haynes said...

Lovely Post - and inspiring.

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi,Sierra,

So what were you working on? Or is it a secret?

I personally find that swapping ideas with peers greatly improves my work. I'm actually contemplating a joint novel with a favorite crit partner.

Best,
Lisabet