This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

16.9.10

Why Were?

It's that time of the month and here I am trying to think of a blog topic!

Well, as you might no on the 27th of this month my short story Moon Shy will be released. It is the story of Lowell, a computer geek who keeps himself to himself and even works on his own in the basement of the demonet offices. It's not just because he's anti-social it's because Lowell is a werewolf and a very reluctant one at that.



Now why did I write a werewolf story? That's a good question, to this day I'm not quite sure why. I am about the wimpiest person you know. I'm not a fan of halloween or horror movies and I won't go on rollercoasters. I'm easily frightened but I love a good heroic fantasy story. David Gemmell is one of my favourite writers and his stories can contain some pretty frightful monsters but they don't scare me, well, not in the way a horror film does. So when I set down to write a werewolf story i sat down thinking of the fantasy genre not horror. It lends itself more to romance anyway I think.

So I heard the call for submissions and I tried my hardest to ignore it. At the time I had alot of other work on my plate and didn't think I really had time to write anything for it but the tiniest seed of an idea kept popping into my mind and wouldn't let me go and the next thing you know I was writing my first ever paranormal romance story.

I wanted my werewolf to be different and hence Lowell (which means 'young wolf', by the way) the social recluse was born. He hates the fact he's a werewolf and in fact my working title for the story was 'Reluctant Werewolf' but my awesome husband came up with Moon Shy and I liked that better.

Actually, my husband was a really great help in writing Moon Shy because I really didn't have a clue where to start. So he sat down with me and helped me to plan out the story from beginning to end. Now I don't usually do that but as I wanted to jump between 3 different characters perspectives I needed to have a good idea where I wanted the story to actually go. He helped me with technical details too. I wanted my werewolf to feel authentic and my husband had far more knowledge of the genre than I had.

So that is why I chose to write a were story. Basically, I had too. The idea got lodged in my head and I had to get it out for the sake of what little sanity I have left!

so to finish here is the blurb for Moon Shy.

Lowell is a werewolf. Desdemona is a werewolf. That is where the similarities end.

Desdemona takes great joy in the full moon. She maims and kills with enthusiasm and wishes she could be a werewolf every day. Lowell hates what he is. He wishes that the full moon would only come around once in a million years.

Jenny is a sweet girl who often acts before she thinks, especially when a man is involved. She finds herself between these two werewolves. She loves Lowell, he was her school crush way back when. Desdemona is her superior and makes her working life a misery.

But which werewolf will have Jenny in the end? Will Desdemona succeed in killing her during the full moon, or will Lowell be able to keep her safe and in the dark about his horrific secret? It comes down to a fight between two werewolves, one Moon lover and one Moon Shy. Who will win?

Remember you can pick it up on the 27th September but if you really can't wait you can read it now in the Over the Moon anthology.

Oh and as an aside I have finally got my act together and now have a goodreads account. If you're over there feel free to friend me, I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all at the moment. Also you can friend me on facebook but don't forget to like me too and I tweet a bit so you can keep up with me on twitter too.

No comments: