This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

12.10.10

Time Management

As you can see, I'm late with my post.

Why?

Time management. Mine stinks as of late. Sure does. Why?

Ah, that's the question. You see, no matter how much balancing I do, the more I feel like I'm dropping all my beans. I get one task accomplished and fifteen more show up. I'm a mom, a wife, and about twenty-seven other things at once. Some days, I'm not sure if I'm coming or going (ok, really I know about the coming part, but that's another bowl of fruit). I want to say I felt guilty about taking time to read, but that would be unthinkable. I make sure to take time to read every day. If I don't read, I honestly think I'd shrivel away. It's almost as good as sex (but that's off limits topic-wise right now.).

I'm one of those people who once they start something, they can't just walk away. I see it through...til five a.m. if I have to. It's not always pretty, but it's my style. Been that way since high school, eons ago.

So I'm looking for help. I know you are all busy, too and this isn't a new question, but anyone have any thoughts on better managing time? I'd be thrilled to hear about it. Might even work a couple ideas into my daily routine so I can be more productive (which if you tell me crit partner/writing partner, she'd flip. She swears I remind her of a bouncy terrier dog...bounce....bounce....bounce...She'd be right.)

Thoughts? Ideas? I'm open.

5 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hello, Wendy,

I think everyone is different, so my strategies might not work for you. But I handle my time by compartmentalization. I plan ahead and allocate different slots for different tasks/activities. And when there's a conflict, well, I try to take an objective look at priorities. Which is more important, my husband or my latest peer review?

Of course you need to allocate time for just you - reading or whatever else sustains you. If you don't, you won't have the energy to do anything else.

Good luck!

Warmly,
Lisabet

Nerine Dorman said...

I make time that is non-negotiable, as far as possible. When it comes to editing obligations and writing, I have an hour on the train in the mornings and my lunch hour during work hours. That way, no matter how far south the evening goes (living with a film-maker photographer husband's schedule is not easy) then at least I can say I've put in two hours' work a day, on top of a day-job at a newspaper publisher plus playing domestic goddess to a house full of animals (husband included).

Granted, I get really cranky when I have to do day-job work over lunch due to deadlines.

Wendi Zwaduk said...

Thanks Ladies! Really I needed the ideas. Lisabet, you always have great answers. One day I want to grow up and be like you. :)

And Nerine, no doubt on the getting EDJ work done over lunch. I know the feeling. Seems like some days, the EDJ usurps everything whether I like it or not. But then there are the days when I get to write and read and do what I like. I love those days.

Anonymous said...

hi!This was a really splendid website!
I come from itlay, I was fortunate to look for your topic in baidu
Also I obtain a lot in your topic really thank your very much i will come every day

Buy Xanax said...

And Nerine, no doubt on the getting EDJ work done over lunch. I know the feeling. Seems like some days, the EDJ usurps everything whether I like it or not.