This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

26.11.10

Just Do It…

Just do it can be more than a popular sporting goods company slogan, it can be a way of life.

It’s easy to get caught up in our to-do lists and taking care of others that there’s no time left for us. We can end up burned out, used up, sitting in front of the television, doing the same thing day in and day out.

Is it time to get in touch with what pleases you?

Yesterday, I participated in my first ever 5k. It was called a Turkey Trot! (Those of us in the States celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday…and instead of sitting in front of the television watching a parade, I decided to get out and enjoy the below-freezing temperatures and some sunshine!)

Despite the cold, it was a blast. The Western skies were an amazing blue, and there was something amazing about being outside in the early morning hour.
Over 1,200 people participated in the 5k, and the camaraderie made for a fun event. I grabbed a coffee with a friend afterward before heading home and baking a couple more pies.

The point is, doing something different adds to the texture and experience of our lives.

Last week, I grabbed a spotting scope, a pair of binoculars and headed for a local state park to look for a reported rare bird. The temperature had dropped over twenty degrees in an hour; fog rolled in and brought the biting wind with it. I didn’t see the bird, but again, it was fun to do something different.

Around Christmas, I am joining a bunch of family members on a train ride to the “North Pole.”

Just doing it can include many things. Like trying new foods. I’ve started going to restaurants I’ve never frequented before. And when I’m there, if there’s something on the menu that I’ve never had before, I order that. A few weeks ago, that included trying squab. (Yeah, young, domestic pigeon.) I have to admit I turned up my nose a bit. I really couldn't believe I was going to eat (as my sister calls them) "statue squatters," but I found it this particular squab to be off-the-hook good.

Everything we do that’s different keeps us sharp, keeps us fresh, changes our perspective of the world. Traveling and vacations are definitely included here. It’s easy to return to the same places again and again, just like we go to the same restaurants, just like we drink the same beverage at our local coffee shop, just like we watch the same television programs, just like we read the same authors, eat the same foods.

We allow patterns to etch pathways in our brains, and soon, those pathways can become ruts.

How could you enrich your life? What unique experiences can you sign up for that get you up and out and moving?

Yeah, instead of sitting there, just do it! Happy unique experiences to you!

No comments: