This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

15.4.11

You Are Here

In general, I'm a easy-going person. I have opinions on things, but as a Libra, it is easy for me to see the other person's point of view too.

Can you picture the goddess of justice holding the scales in balance?

Let me give you a visual.

That's me, always trying to find the balance - not liking when things get too heavy on one side or the other.

But there is one topic that always causes me to put down my foot on my side of the scale - the GPS in cars.


Oh, lordy! I can feel my tension increasing just thinking about these things.


So what do I find so offensive about GPS?

1. I fear that we are raising a new generation of people who will have lost all sense of direction and spacial thinking. They will have no ability to navigate without following a computer's instructions. As an educator, it horrifies me to watch a whole set of skills disappear with one generation. I realize not everyone is geographically gifted, but if we don't try to build or even retain what skills we have, where will that leave us in the future? I don't think there's a GPS that can answer that one.

2. I've watched friends drive so completely dependent on the little black box on their dash that they've missed the beauty around them. It takes them longer to learn the way around their new town because they rely on computer cues, rather than looking around for landmarks. How much less present in the moment are we when we train all our focus on the little machine in our car?

3. When we step off the path and get 'lost', we open ourselves to finding new discoveries and making new relationships. As a writer, I'm always looking for new connections and getting 'lost' lets me explore new places. In fact, when my hubby and I were new to Philadelphia, we used to take drives into the countryside and try to get lost. Both of us have a fairly healthy sense of direction, so it never took us very long to find a road that would lead us back home. (Maybe we should have blindfolded one of us - preferably the passenger.) ;D On those drives, we got to see 'what was out there' and get to know our neighborhood, community and region that we were living in. Will GPS kill that desire to explore? Will we lose our creativity and the ability to look outside of ourselves to ask 'what is out there'?

So what do you think? Are GPS good or bad? I'd love to hear your comments.

Oh! If you missed it, I was in the Author Spotlight last month. You can still read my interview and check out my kitty pictures here.

Have a great spring!
Suzanne



4 comments:

Sam Crescent said...

Hi suzanne,

It would seem a lot of skills are being replaced with technology :(

Me personally would never own a GPS.

From what I've heard I could imagine that voice telling me when to turn left or right, stop, turn around or whatever it is they do, would be irritating and make me feel like I was on a driving test.

I'm old school. Map anyone?

You get to stop, have a coffee or a tea, check out the scenery around you and find out where you are.

Sometimes It is just nice to slow down.

Suzanne Graham said...

Thanks for stopping by, Sam.

I definitely agree that there are many other disappearing skills we could add to the list that technology is replacing.

I suppose this is 'progress'. Just look how many of us don't know how to take care of a horse...now that we drive cars. Or know how to write a proper letter...now that we can email, tweet or FB.

Starting to feel a little Luddite-ish here. :D

Sam Crescent said...

I prefer cooking the family meals to take-outs. I can bake and cook a pie. Don't know if these skills are disappearing?

Oh, I also prefer a VHS to a DVD or at least I did prefer a VHS. Can't get them anymore.

Right, had a tiny moan about changing technology. I won't be investing in a GPS. I liked the points you made Suzanne :)

widdershins said...

Like all technology, a GPS has its place, and like all technology, not to be relied on. Like Sam I prefer maps that give me an overview of not only where I want to go, but where I might like to go if I took the scenic route.

And as for those folk who drive off the end of piers when following their GPS's directions, I shudder to think what happened to them before they got one!