This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

27.5.11

Deadlines, Deadlines Everywhere!


I have to admit a terrible thing...I’m having trouble even forming the words. I didn’t mean to do it, which will hopefully help me to earn a reprieve, but it did still happen. Okay, here goes, during the process of writing my latest manuscript, I asked for an extension on the deadline. *Hangs head in shame*

I don’t know what happened, it just got away from me. It didn’t help that it ended up longer than I had originally intended, but that still should be no excuse. It is the same problem I have with several other stories, they take on a life of their own. When it comes to writing, my self-control disappears like a feather on the breeze.

Of course, I’m aware of all the things that I should be doing in order to complete the manuscript on time—synopsis, planning, time management—and I do utilise then, most of the time. Still, I find myself on a fine line and, in this case, completely beyond it!

Although I work with a fabulous editor who reassured me that I could put the hair shirt away, I still felt terrible. I don’t like being late for appointments and I don’t like handing things in late, whether I have permission to do so or not. It feels like failure.

It has a massive knock-on effect when you’re like me and consistently have several works in progress. Everything that comes after the late manuscript is also at risk, like traffic on a nightmare motorway. Never mind ‘water, water everywhere but not a drop to drink’. Let’s try ‘deadlines, deadlines everywhere, I don’t have time to think’.

There is a great deal of satisfaction to be had from actually finishing, it’s just the period immediately preceding that I had an issue with! This is the first time I’ve not managed to submit a manuscript on time, so maybe I’ve just given myself too much to do of late. Whatever, the reason, I haven’t got time to discuss it...I’ve got writing to do.

Shermaine
www.shermainewilliams.co.uk
www.shermainewilliams.wordpress.com

4 comments:

Justine Elyot said...

I appreciate this post, Shermaine - I'm usually hot on deadlines but have struggled a bit recently as well.

Let's get our heads down and words on the paper!

Shermaine Williams said...

Indeed, Justine. I shall remain chained to my laptop!

Scarlett Parrish said...

Oh, me too...me too...

I've really put myself on a guilt trip lately, but things happen. You get ill, there's job stress, family matters. None of it can be helped.

I lie on my bed for an hour crying, wondering what I'm going to do, then I make a list, prioritise everything with dates and if I think I'll run over, I speak to the editor concerned. I don't like doing it, but it's better than running away and hiding and not facing up to it.

As it happens, I've had four recent deadlines and met all but one of them. It's not the end of the world, but...

I better shut up; I've got a book to finish! :D

Scarlett Parrish said...

Oh, me too...me too...

I've really put myself on a guilt trip lately, but things happen. You get ill, there's job stress, family matters. None of it can be helped.

I lie on my bed for an hour crying, wondering what I'm going to do, then I make a list, prioritise everything with dates and if I think I'll run over, I speak to the editor concerned. I don't like doing it, but it's better than running away and hiding and not facing up to it.

As it happens, I've had four recent deadlines and met all but one of them. It's not the end of the world, but...

I better shut up; I've got a book to finish! :D