This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

28.6.11

Hello!!!

This is my first post on Hitting the hot-spot and I’m very excited to say it will be a regular slot on the 28th of each month for me. For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Lily Harlem, I live in the UK and have four books out with TEB. These include a Christmas novel from back in 2009, a short story, a freebie and a full length available in e-book and print. Details on my author page. Later this year I also have a book in the new Bollywood collection due for release as well as a story in the Treble Anthology.

I’m a bit of a natter box, especially when it comes to all things to do with sexy stories and I totally adore the world of erotic romance that I’ve become immersed in. I write contemporary style, usually M/F, but tend to drift into ménage fairly often - not that I get any complaints about that :-)

Writing in this genre all kind of happened by accident when I won a competition two years ago. I was attending a creative writing course at my local university and decided to see if I could do something with the piles of assignments that were stacking up at my side. They'd taken me hours and ranged from children’s stories, to magical realism with a bit of lovey dovey thrown in.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I spotted a competition sponsored by Love Honey – an online sex store – the aim was to write an erotic story in any sub-genre. Well, I’d never done anything like that, it hadn’t been on the course syllabus! But the idea kept floating around my head, until eventually, on a quiet Sunday afternoon, I sat and wrote Madam President  - a steamy tale about the first female president of the United States having an affair with the British PM – I blushed as I wrote the whole thing and afterwards had no idea where the idea for such naughty shenanigans in the Oval Office had come from. Of course unlike most politicians these characters were totally gorgeous!

I hit send, and forgot all about it. Then, a couple of weeks later, I received a phone call to say I’d won!! I was over the moon, and it was my birthday too – double celebration. I decided that this was a sign and that I’d  definitely found my genre - erotic romance!

The rest, as they say, is history, and since that time literally hundreds of thousands of steamy words have flowed from my fingertips – though I’m pleased to say I don’t blush the entire time when I write now - phew, that would be exhausting.

TEB have been an enormous support and I adore writing for a British publisher. I was lucky enough to attend the TEB Ladies Romance Night in May, which kicked off the Lincoln Book Festival, and met many of the wonderful staff. It was an amazing evening, full of romance and laughter and the Lincoln Hotel was a fabulous setting with the spotlit Cathedral filling the floor to ceiling windows behind us. I hope there will be many more of these fun events where it's possible to connect with other authors and readers. I had a wonderful time and even managed to do my reading at the end of the evening without stuttering.

Thanks for having me at Hitting the hot-spot and do stop by my website or blog and say hi, and if you read any of my books I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Lily x  







10 comments:

Justine Elyot said...

Hello, Lily Harlem :D.

I love Madam President - definitely hits every hot spot going. Is it really 2 years ago it won the contest?! Wow.

Lily Harlem said...

Thanks for your kind words, Justine.

I know! Two years, where does the time go? Especially when immersed in a world of fantasy!!

Lily x

Sam Crescent said...

Hello Lily,

Lovely to meet you and to hear more about you. I look forward to reading more of your posts and I loved your introduction.

Sam

Lily Harlem said...

Thanks, Sam. Good to meet you too

:-)

Lily x

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi, Lily,

Welcome to the Hot Spot! It's a fun blog. I only wish we could draw in more readers.

Congratulations on your metamorphosis from mild-mannered, proper young British woman to erotic romance author! ;^)

Jeff Rivera said...

I'm also a fan of Madam President. I can't believe it's already that long how time flies by >.< I suddenly feel older LOL!

Lily Harlem said...

Thanks for stopping by you guys.

Lisabet - you hit the nail on the head with my metamorphosis!!
Soo much fun...

Jeff - glad you enjoyed MP. Though of course a few years down the line I read it and think, oh no, I shouldn't have written it like that, or this bit is argh!! Oh, well, it was my first leap into the crazy world of erotic romance!

Lily x

Amy Valenti said...

Nice to meet you, Lily! And it's a great first post. :)

Nichelle Gregory said...

Hey, Lily,

So nice to learn more about you! Welcome to Hitting the Hot-Spot! ;)

Jennifer said...

I read Madam President a year ago and had forgotten about it and now I happen to have come across your blog. It is a small world Lily :)

It is amazing ho in the last 6 months here in the UK that steamy writing has taken off with 50 Shades stuff. Should make more opportunities for you Lily?!
Paula