This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

22.8.11

Are Your Engines Going?


Ah, it’s a glorious Monday morning. The typical start of a new week. Most people return to their week day jobs, kids return to their school books, and TEB unleashes its new releases for the week (obviously, the best part of the week).

Mondays are looked at with vim and vigor. Starting your engines and all that talk. But what do you do if your engine is, well, stuck? Instead of burning hot fuel, your tanks are filled with molasses.

This seems to be my Monday. *sigh* Oh, don’t worry, it’s not a depression or pity or anything mentally negative. I’m simply feeling…slow.

Wash the dishes – ah, well, eventually. You need clean slacks, dear? Oh, I’ll try to remember sometime today. Food? Really? Sure, I think there’s still peanut butter and a loaf of bread on the shelf.

I’m chuckling as I’m writing this because yes, this is how I’m feeling. Disinterested, I suppose, would be a better word.

Does this make me a bad person? No. I don’t think so. I’m not normally so off-beat with my surroundings. Instead of berating myself (which I used to do and that would lead to depression), I’ve learned to take these moments in my life with stride. I call them my personal mini-vacations, because there comes a time in every woman’s life, where life simply becomes too much.

The stresses of being an awesome wife, mother, daughter…a general wonder-woman type attitude, can begin to weigh heavy on your shoulders. You need a rest, a break, an occasional “I don’t give a shit attitude,” but in a nice way.

For me, I can’t jaunt off by myself for a couple of days. I can’t visit all-day spas and treatments. Heck, it’s hard enough to make it to the grocery store alone. Instead, during those times of overwhelming madness, I opt to back away from the “stuff” that’s around me.

I let it go.

I don’t ignore the people themselves, but the floors might go unswept for a few days and piles might grow on the dining room table, but that’s okay. I know it won’t stay that way for long. Once I’ve indulged in lying around, reading nearly non-stop, writing disjointedly and watching the dust-bunnies dance across the floor like mini tumbleweeds, I’ll return to my go-getter self. Then I’ll clean, polish, cook, drive to every appointment known to man for 5 wonderful people, shuffle play-dates and on-line school, write-back on schedule, and do all this with a genuine smile.

Now I’m curious. Do you ever have these slower-than-slow days, and do you indulge in them, or do you find another way to do a pick-me-up?
 
Oh, and no matter what day you’re having, give in to one indulgence and pick up the fabulous new stories out today with TotalE-Bound. It’s a pleasure you deserve.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Normally when this happens I do my best to spend as little time socializing as possible. Which results in my family calling me anti social and referring to my room as my lair, but when the feeling passes I tend to be fine, I go out sit with my family and discover no one had told me while I was buried in a book. Though of course when I have my class and I feel like doing nothing I tend to freak my teachers out by finishing everything in under and hour so i can go home and do more of nothing.

Ayla Ruse said...

So long as the time of doing nothing doesn't overrun your life, I say, enjoy it. Thanks for your post. :)

Marie Harte said...

Oh yeah, let those dust bunnies run wild. Personally, I need a cup of joe to get my motor running. That and a helping of kids fighting or messing around will wake my tired butt up. But I totally get what you're talking about. Sometimes it's just a deep-down tired you have to shake off. And yet, still, I come back to the answer to everything... coffee. :) Great post.

Ayla Ruse said...

Oh, yes. I SO agree about the coffee! I like that hit better than the fighting kids. It's good to know I'm not the only periodic "lazy" one around. :D