This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

9.8.11

If you don't laugh...

As I'm working on three short stories and two novel-length pieces, as well as finishing off a blog tour, I've spent the past month writing nothing but sex. Not necessarily something to complain about, I agree. However, as I discovered many years ago when I was finishing my dissertation, writing in the same strain for long periods of time tends to send my mind loopy and make me throw in inappropriate moments of humour. And now I'm fighting the irresistible urge to start writing comedy sex.


Let's face it, we've all had it. Sex in the real world is frequently riddled with mishaps. It's one of the selling points of erotica that we can lose ourselves in a fantasy world, where bodies don't make weird noises at the height of passion and nobody falls off the bed mid-thrust. And, having experienced many awkward moments in my reasonable-if-not-too-long lifetime, I've had to develop a sense of humour about it all.


I've been propelled head-first into a shelf. I've got my watch caught somewhere delicate. We've been interrupted by the cat on several occasions. We nearly got the police called on us by the neighbours after my husband accidentally did something excruciatingly painful. I gather my scream could be heard through the wall - it also made my husband deaf in one ear for two days.


Anyone nodding knowingly? I can’t be the only one.


So, you know what? I think I’m going to take a scene from real life and insert it into one of my WIPs. The time we parked up in the woods on the Yorkshire moors should do it. Ten minutes in the undergrowth followed by half an hour looking for his mobile phone, which had jumped out of his pocket and into a rabbit hole. If that doesn’t cure my lust for comedy sex, I don’t know what will.

5 comments:

Lily said...

Haha, great post. I agree sex and laughter can be a fab mix - the longer I am with my partner the more things we seem to be able to laugh about.

Lily x

Lisabet Sarai said...

I WISH I could write comedy, Tanith! It takes a special kind of talent. But personally, I think you should follow your humorous muse wherever she takes you.

Ayla Ruse said...

Go for it! Who says sex has to be focused and intense all the time? Besides, if you (and your characters) are still together after those funny-after-the-fact-awkward moments, that only proves the strength of the relationship.

Tanith Davenport said...

OK, now I'm really convinced. As soon as I reach a suitable point, something disastrous but funny is going to happen to my characters mid-sex scene. :)

Naomi Bellina said...

I love laughing during sex! It helps us relax and brings those happy hormones to the surface. A good comedy movie is the best aphrodisiac for me.