This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

9.9.11

The dreaded second piece

I’ve reached the point where I’ve finished riding the wave of euphoria at getting my first novel published, and have now hit the wall of the terrifying second piece.

Do I have anything in the pipeline? Yes. Two novel-length WIPs, one of which is nearly complete, and two short stories in response to calls for submissions. I’ll admit that I am completely inexperienced in short stories – I like to have room to develop plot and character, and so I’m constantly feeling that I’m moving things along far too quickly. But it’s an area I want to develop in, so damn it, I’m going to.

But my almost-complete WIP has me in a tailspin. Is it any good? I was working on my debut novel for three years, and I know I developed as a writer in that time – heck, you could see it in the early chapters of my first draft – but am I developing in the right way? Am I going to submit this and be told that the first one was better?

AGH!


It’s a good thing I love writing, because it’s the most stressful job I’ve ever taken on. When I finish the spanking scene I’m working on right now, I’ll be the happiest woman alive – and I’ll treat myself to cheesecake.

4 comments:

Sam Crescent said...

Sweetheart, you are so talented and I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Love to see what wonderful cogs are turning in that mind of yours.

Tanith Davenport said...

Sam, you are a star. I will try to make the cogs turn a little more quickly. :)

Lisabet Sarai said...

Tanith, there is no such thing as "developing the right way". Follow your inspirations and you will succeed.

I do recommend doing short stories, if only as an exercise in conciseness. Your novels will improve as a result.

Congratulations on your first book - I know you'll have many more.

Tanith Davenport said...

Thanks, Lisabet - conciseness is usually my strong point so I'll keep that in mind!