This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

21.10.11

“What’s in a name? That which we call a rose….”


“What’s in a name? That which we call a rose….”


In one of the most iconic romances of all time, Shakespeare penned a couple of the most recognized and widely-quoted lines for his doomed heroine Juliet to utter to her Romeo: "What's in a name? That which we call a rose/By any other name would smell as sweet." When I decided to submit my first erotic romance to a publisher, my most difficult task turned out to be choosing a pseudonym. Whether I would choose a pen name was never a question: I both wanted and needed to keep my writing world and my other worlds from colliding. Oh, not just for the usual “I’m writing sex scenes and my day job runs conservative, oh my…!” No, I enjoy slipping into this other persona at odd hours – sometimes hours on end -- when I immerse myself into the worlds I create for all these characters crowding to get out of my head and into print. Leaving one Claire at the door when I sit down at my computer and morph into Maria-Claire Payne is no different than switching hats among my varied roles during the usual life experiences that make up each day: mom, teacher, friend, co-worker, mentor, lover….The name “Maria-Claire Payne” defines a role that’s just as crucial a piece of the “real” me as “mom” defines another critical piece of my “ true identity” – albeit Maria-Claire gets to have all sorts of filthy fun that maybe the off-spring aren’t quite ready to equate with “mom” ;) Besides…isn’t one of the reasons we love reading hot romance is to find a brief respite from reality and move into a fantasy? I love all of my realities…but there are so many variations of roses to experience out there, all of which smell so sweet….Why limit myself to just one? Choosing a pseudonym isn’t hiding my essential self from my readers: it’s laying bare the most critical aspect of me – my writing self – for our mutual pleasure in sharing these people and worlds I create, people and worlds I hope you enjoy as much as I do.


Shakespeare was a smart dude, huh?


Maria-Claire


Website: http://www.maria-clairepayne.com

Blog: http://www.maria-clairepayne.com/blog


Making Love from Payne...because, sometimes...Love Hurts


Available October 24 from Total-E-Bound!


Bending Tyme



http://www.total-e-bound.com/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=&P_ID=1420

4 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hello, Marie-Claire,

First of all, congratulations on your first TEB release! Hopefully the first of many!

I feel the same way about "Lisabet Sarai". She's sexy, exotic, mysterious, someone I'd like to be ... well, I guess she's a part of my identity, the way "Marie-Claire" is a cherished part of yours.

(And I really like the pseudonym, too!)

Warmly,
Lisabet

Maria-Claire Payne said...

Thank you, Lisabet! I (and all of my identities :) love being part of TEB. That "mysterious" bit...that's such a great part of using a pseudonym, isn't it? I do adore a good mystery :)

M-C

Sam Crescent said...

Hi Marie-Claire,

Welcome to TEB not only as an author but on the blog, for me my post comes round a little too fast lol.

I love your cover and you post and looking forward to hearing more about you.

Take care

Sam x

Maria-Claire Payne said...

Thank you for the warm welcome, Sam :) I'm happy to be here! Em's cover is just so awesome, isn't it?How she works her magic, I don't know...but she sure nailed the perfect cover for Esme and Logan. I love scrolling through all the great covers on the TEB site! Great eye-candy! ;)

M-C