This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

11.1.12

Records? Are You Kidding Me?

I was talking to a friend about a story I'm working on. It's a vintage story, set in 1970. There's a plethora of information on the internet about the 1970's. It's information overload. I wanted something more. I wanted to actually talk to someone from that era. I'll admit here and now, I wasn't born until 1978 so I have no idea what the world was like in 1970.

So I found someone, actually quite a few someones who were willing and thrilled to talk about that time period. I enjoyed it. I had no idea that someone who was considered awesome was an "ace" or that the word "skinny" was popular then. I'd always heard both terms used when I was a kid so it didn't occur to me. I also hadn't realized some of the songs I love best, like "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" came out around then. Reading the details on the record wasn't my thing when I was six. Shrug.

But talking about that time period got me thinking. I have a small person in my household. There are lots of things my totlet doesn't realize are from way before his time. There are lots of things he'll never know about unless I tell him about them.

In his lifetime, we've just now entered a time period where the US isn't involved in a war/police action.

You can't go to the airport without having to be pawed by the TSA. At one time, space shuttles actually went into space, not sat on runways as leftover commodities from the 'space race'. I was asked if the space shuttle was a museum. Sigh.

Cars all come with CD players or outlets for mp3 players. Cassettes and gasp, 8-tracks aren't even on his radar. Records are those things that look like Frisbees.

The Clash, The Police, and Bruce Springsteen will always be "oldies".

If you want information you use your laptop or smart phone to connect to the internet. Corded phones are 'dinosaurs'. Libraries are those places to get movies you want to borrow.

As I read back through this, it makes me a little sad. He'll never have the thrill of going to the record store to get the latest Michael Jackson album. Music can be bought one track at a time on itunes. There was a time when we played outside. We didn't sit for hours in front of the PSP (do they make those anymore?). We knew our neighbors, had little gangs in the neighborhood and didn't have to worry about planes falling from the sky or our entire life poofing because our hard drive crashed.

I don't think the times before, like when I was a kid was any easier. The 80's were their own ball of crazy, but there were some little gems in there that I'm glad I got to witness. Oh well. Time marches on.

* * *

My alter ego, Megan Slayer is taking Permanent on tour this week. Where's she going? Check here! Where's she today? Carrie Ann Ryan's blog. Check it out!

About me:
I always dreamed of writing the stories in my head. Tall, dark, and handsome heroes are my favorites, as long as he has an independent woman keeping him in line. I tend to write books with titles taken from songs because music is one of my many muses.
I earned a BA in education and as well as a Masters in Education. I've tried my hand at teaching, waitressing, and retail sales, but writing holds my heart.

I love NASCAR, romance, books in general, farmland, dirt racing, and my menagerie of animals. I books under contract with Total-E-Bound, Liquid Silver Books, and the Wild Rose Press. But then again, I've got more stories percolating than my brain can handle. I can't wait to share them with you!

Wendi Zwaduk - Romance to Make Your Heart Race
Also writing as Megan Slayer - Sometimes It's Fun to Squirm

http://www.wendizwaduk.com/
http://wendizwaduk.blogspot.com/
http://wendizwaduk.com/indexMegan.htm
http://theauthormeganslayer.blogspot.com/
Friend us both on FaceBook and Follow us on Twitter!

9 comments:

Emma said...

"tall, dark, and handsome heroes are my favorites, as long as he has an independent woman keeping him in line."
These are my favourites too :)

Wendi Zwaduk said...

Thanks Emma! :-)

Kaye Manro said...

Very cool, Wendi. The 70's had to be such a different time than today. Almost like another planet, I'd say!

nancy said...

I quite enjoyed your ruminations on the passage of time. I remember a teacher having us figure out how old we would be in the year 2000. As a ten-year-old my reaction was "pffft 53, as if that was going to happen!" Well what do you know it has happened and then some. I love telling my grandkids stories about the "olden days" when we played with one bat and one ball and all the neighbor kids in the horse pasture until it was too dark to see. I could go on and on, you know old people like to ramble.

nancy said...

I forgot to mention records, yes I had 78s 45s and 33 1/3s. Now I rarely use my cds because of the ipod the kids gave me.

Lisabet Sarai said...

I was in college and grad school in the 1970s. I wrote my term papers on an electric typewriter. I danced to Saturday Night Fever...

I love some aspects of living today, but I'm glad I didn't grow up in the 21st century. I would have missed way too many things.

Good luck with the blog tour, btw!

Wendi Zwaduk said...

Thanks Kaye! I was so young in the 70's that I don't remember most of it, well, except the Bee Gees and the (cringe) Bay City Rollers.

Wendi Zwaduk said...

Nancy - I have George Harrison's song "Got My Mind Set on You" on a 78. Loved that song. But yes, the totlet thinks all music comes from a iPod.

Wendi Zwaduk said...

Lisabet - Thanks for stopping by. I wrote a paper in college on an electric typewriter and had the professor tell me 'you need to get with the times. Buy a computer' That was all well and good but we couldn't afford one at the time. There are a lot of things that I got to experience as a kid that the totlet will never know and yeah, I'm glad I grew up when I did, too. :-0