This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

7.2.12

Must-see fluffy romantic viewing?

It's freezing outside (-17C as I write this), and I'm ready to curl up on the sofa to watch some comfort films.

This has me thinking about romantic comedies, and which are my favourites. My top 10 is easy, and reveals me to be a shameless Sandra Bullock fan:


  • While You Were Sleeping (1995) -- Oh, man, Bill Pullman in this. So perfect. And Sandra, glorious Sandra. I adore this small and lovely, totally contrived story of two people finding each other. And lonely ticket collector Sandra in fingerless gloves!
  • Only You (1994) -- Marissa Tomei and Robert Downey Jr. romp about Rome. A ridiculous(ly awesome) premise. Lots and lots of fun and pretty and shoes. Marissa's gorgeous haircut. Plus Billy Zane is pretty hilarious in this.
  • You've Got Mail (1998) -- Love this because it's got them together right for the beginning in the best sort of I Love You / I Hate You scenario. Plus, hershop is just the kind of place you want to spend time in, the movie's got great Christmas, and their families are solid supporting cast to round out the romance.
  • French Kiss (1995) -- Meg again, and another gorgeous European setting. Kevin Klein is awesome in this.
  • Much Ado About Nothing (1993) -- Sun-drenched and heart-wrenching in equal turns. I fell in love with Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh in this version and must have seen it about 3 times in the theatres I was so enraptured. Now that's chemistry.
  • Two Weeks' Notice (2002) -- Again, great supporting family to back up Sandra's great character in this one. Hugh Grant is very likeable in this. There's a big romantic declaration scene at the end. And some great New York for those of us with city!kinks. Best performance in this film though? Sandra's wardrobe.Pencil skirts for the win.
  • Ever After (1998) -- Great little fairy tale. Liked Drew in this a lot.
  • Roxanne (1987) -- Filmed in a gorgeously little town in British Columbia, packed with charming characters and a classy leading man. This is laugh-out-loud funny and bite-your-fist romantic.
  • The Cutting Edge (1992) -- The rough-and-tumble hockey player falls for the rich-girl figure skater, with the melodramatic climax at the Olympics. Need I say more?
  • Strictly Ballroom (1992) -- Let's just say, if you haven't seen it, watch it.

Honourable mentions:
  • 13 Going on 30 (2004)-- Mark Ruffalo needs to be in more romantic comedies. His rumpled sturdiness is so appealing :) My fav scene in this is where Jennifer Garner pulls him onto the dance floor to do a Thriller routine, and you can see that he's loving it, but panicking too because he can't understand what's happening to him/them. Love it.
  • 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) -- Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles treat this like a serious film and it shows. They were fab in it. But I just couldn't stand the younger sibling Shrew subplot, not even with adorable Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
  • The Princess Bride (1987) -- THE movie. I just never liked Buttercup. I ship Inigo/Westley.
  • Speed (1994) -- OK, so this didn't make the top 10 purely because it's not really a romantic comedy. But damn it -- it's funny, it's got a meet cute, Sandra is awesome and Keanu has never looked hotter (the white t-shirt and bulletproof vest look? yes please).
So if you've gotten this far, you've noticed what my own true love pointed out: that my prime movie exposure seems permanently stuck in the mid-90s.

Do you have older classic rom-coms you love? Or any from the last five years? I'd love to know what you're watching and rewatching! :)

Looking for a Valentine's Day rom-com read? Try Taking It Off.

1 comment:

elizabethcoldwell said...

What? No sign of When Harry Met Sally? Truly the classic film by which the majority of modern rom coms are found in comparison to be neither romantic, nor comedies...