This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

9.2.12

Notebook - Check. Tissues - Check.

My husband and I have been passing a cold back and forth for the past month. As a result, rather than a head full of ideas, I have spent the last four weeks working with a head full of gunk.

If it wasn’t for the stash of Dayquil I brought home from my holiday in New York, I’d never get anything done. I work 9-5 at my day job, come home, look at the computer and think UGH. Add this to my usual meds for chronic back pain and we have a recipe for disaster. I sit in front of the screen, tissues to the left of me, Lemsip to the right, stuck in the middle with woman-flu.

I’ve discovered two techniques to force myself onward in this situation. One is to give myself a word count – at least 500 words a day. The other is to give myself a time limit. As I share a computer with my husband, this isn’t hard to do. I tell him he can have the PC in an hour, and then I get down to it, because if I gave myself the whole evening I would end up surfing instead.

How does everyone else force themselves to work when they feel like death?

And does anyone know a good way of getting rid of a cold??

2 comments:

Lisabet Sarai said...

Ah, Tanith,

I do hope you feel better soon. I admire your determination. I'd just go to bed!

Hugs,
Lisabet

Ayla Ruse said...

Lisabet is absolutely right, you are determined. I admire this in any person - especially one who seems to have so much to go up against.

When I get the perpetual cold, I wash everything like crazy - I even buy the sanitizing wipes and swipe the keyboard and mouse several times an hour!

I do hope you feel better soon. I know of no extra help in the writing plan, sorry, as I do tend to surf too much. Besides, your plan is one I intend to copy: word count and time limit. This is fantastic.