This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

3.3.12

One Year Anniversary

Hi all,


Well it’s that time again. The third of every month I have to think of something new to talk about. Most times, I don’t have a clue but today is special. On the 3rd of March 2011 I got my very first acceptance by a lovely woman at Total-E-Bound and in a way changed my life.



Changed my life can be seen as a little extreme but I’ve always dreamed of being an author. A published woman, writing, what I love. On this day I will always look back and remember dreams can come true. This does sound a little corny, even as I’m writing. No true words can even begin to describe how I feel about my life.

I use to read through authors’ blogs about their acceptances. Advice and writing guides’. All of it. Seeing if there was some magical source that could make my work shine. What I did find out was there was no magical source. The way to being published is about hard work and perseverance.

As I sit here, I can recall everything as if I’m living it once again. I recall seeing the email and staring at it for at least five minutes. Worried in case it would hold another rejection. My head filled with possibilities. I began to figure for the longest time that I’d never get accepted. That maybe all those fabulous stories you hear about could be false. Then like all the other times I took a deep breath and opened my email. There was my first acceptance and yes, I’ve kept the email and that way any time I want I can open it up and look.

To all you aspiring authors, keep trying and learn your skills. I actually brought a grammar book and started reading through English booklets about the proper writing skills.

In the last year of being published has taught me many things.

1) Always listen to your editor (I’ve never stopped) they know what they’re talking about and if you don’t like what they’re doing, talk to them.

2) Writing is a constant learning curve. There is never a time when you know it all. You may like to think you do but I still don’t.

3) Accept the reviews that are less than pleasant. Books are kind of like marmite. Some people will love them, others can put up with it or some will hate it.

4) Other authors are out there and more than happy to help. I’ve met so many wonderful people through online social media and their help has been brilliant.

5) Keep writing no matter if you’re rejected. No one can take your dream away. You’re in control all the way.

Office Hours will always hold a special place in my heart. Not only because it’s based in Buxton—the place, I adore above all others—but because this is the story that was first accepted. Nathan and Anya became real to me and hopefully to my readers as well.

Thank you for having the time to come and say hi. In celebration of my one year anniversary I’ll be holding a giveaway. Leave a comment and I’ll give one person a free copy of, The Valentines: Robert. The first book in my vampire series.



Thanks again.

Sam x

Sam's Blog
Sam's Facebook
Sam's twitter

12 comments:

Vampirique Dezire said...

Congratulations Sam.
It is a wonderful memory you have ;-)

Keep writing sister!

*bites n kisses*

Romance Reader Enthusiast said...

Congratulations on your one year anniversary. For a one year anniversary, you are supposed to give paper. Which is interesting since you write books. I'm afraid when you have your second anniversary, we're supposed to give cotton. Will need to come up with a towel that has one of your book covers on it.

Happy Anniversary!
Lynn
lareynolds0316@gmail.com

Kallypso Masters said...

Congrats on your one-year anniversary! Great tips for ALL writings, even us self-pubs (except for the rejection part of #5 maybe ).

I hope I can return the many favors you've given me in the coming months. I just hired a personal assistant to help me get guest blogs and other things happening that I don't have time to do. Supporting our fellow authors helps us all, as you know.

Hope this coming year is a great one for you!

Kally

Missy Martine said...

Congratulations, Sam - You can be proud of what you've accomplished, and the best part....it's only the beginning! Your talent is going to take you as far as you want to go!

Missy

Teresa K. said...

Happy One year anniversary Sam!
You should be proud of the accomplishments you have done in your life. Your a wonderful writer and you will accomplish more and even better things.
I hope you will be at Lori Fosters this year.

Congratulations on all you have done.

Teresa K.
tcwgrlup41(at)yahoodotcom

Maggie Nash said...

Congratulations on your anniversary Sam! Wishing you many more successful years as a published author. Judging by your wonderful books that's pretty much a foregone conclusion!

Eli Yanti said...

congratulations on your first year anniversary ;)

Julia Kanno said...

Congratulations Sam! I've just became a TEB author and I'm so excited. :-)

Christine A. said...

Congrats Sam!

I hope you never stop writing. Here is to another great year ahead of you.

mbourn said...

Wow a great accomplishment!! Congrats on your one year anniversary. I love that you are following the 1 year anniversary "rule" of paper. How neat it is that you write. With your 2 year coming next year and it being cotton, maybe you can have some pillow cases made with your book covers! It would give me an excuse for sleeping with another man :)
Mel
bournmelissa@hotmail.com

Nichelle Gregory said...

Happy Anniversary, Sam! :-)

Sam Crescent said...

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for stopping by and for all of your lovely comments. I appreciate everything.

Well I can never pick a winner by myself but I take the cheating way out and go to Random.org and they've picked my winner.

Congratulations Kallypso Masters, You're lucky number 3. I'll be sending a copy of Robert over to you.

Thank you to everyone else. Your comments are wonderful and I loved reading them.

Sam x

P.S (I'm a girl lol)