This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

10.3.12

Sweet Poetry

Last weekend I treated myself to a somewhat extended reading session. Well, honestly, I just needed to switch my overworked brain from output to input mode for a few hours, which I've found to be one of the best ways to deal with those times when I feel like I've forgotten half of the words I've ever learned and English grammar appears to be something about as easy to grasp as a wave on the beach.

When I flicked through the list of suggestions my beloved reading device came up with, I stumbled across the lovely Come Unto These Yellow Sands by Josh Layon, one of my favourite authors. While the pairing and the storyline are classic Josh, I was once again charmed by the words and phrases he comes up with and I simply loved the way he weaves bits and pieces of poetry into the story. It reminded me of all those English Literature classes with students trying to make sense of what some long-dead English bloke has written centuries ago. Anyway, before I start waffling on about that, here's one of my favourite pieces of poetry for you to - hopefully - enjoy. A classic sonnet by Shakespeare (By the way, I used to know this by heart!).



Sonnet 27

Weary with toil, I haste me to my bed,
The dear repose for limbs with travel tired,
But then begins a jourmey in my head
To work my mind while body's work's expired.

For then my thoughts - from far where I abide -
Intend a zealous pilgrimage to thee
And keep my drooping eyelids open wide,
Looking on darkness which the blind do see

Save that my soul's imaginary sight
Presents thy shadow to my sightless view,
Which, like a jewel hung in ghastly night,
Makes black night beautous and her old face new.

Lo, thus, by day my limbs by night my mind,
For thee and for myself no quiet find.



I believe this is not exactly one of his most popular sonnets, and I never even knew why I like it so much but reading and thinking about it now makes me realise that it's in fact an eerily accurate description of my relationship with writing and my characters - all that talk of darkness and sleepless nights because of a busy mind which I'm so well acquainted with. You never know, maybe that's what Will thought about when he wrote this... *smirk*

Anyway, all the more reason for me to love this particular sonnet!


As always, I'd love to hear what you think!


Cheers,

Sage




1 comment:

Ayla Ruse said...

Thank you for the lovely post, Sage, as well as the perfect poem.