This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

22.4.12

Happy Earth Day

Did you know the celebration of Earth Day is 42 years old today? Amazing. Growing up, I don't remember much about Earth Day. It wasn't until I was in college that I became aware of this day and its meaning. At the time, I remember rolling my eyes. My thought was that yes, we all live on Earth, there is no where else for us to live, so why wouldn't we take care of our home? Seems to make common sense, right?

Unfortunately, we know this is not the case for the general populace, thus the creation of this day. Like any special occasion, it's a public knock on the heads of the collective to remind us of a simple fact: Take care of our home. How? Reduce, reuse, recycle. Buy organic, don't pollute, plant a tree, switch from paper books to e-readers... Sounds funny, but it's true. The list of ways we can make a difference in the life of our Earth is endless. The trick for all of us, I think, is to remember to do these things on a daily basis.

The whole notion of taking care of our planet is vastly different today than it was when I was a kid. My own children, for example, know more about the 3 R's than I did when I was 20. Maybe they don't understand the intrinsic reasons yet, but they know cardboard goes in its own bin, old items can be re-made into something new, and throwing trash on the ground is practically a sin. Yes, I'm proud, especially since sometimes I struggle to remember to do/not do things that are second-nature to them. In this way, the purpose of Earth Day is having its effect. We may not see results in our own lifetime, but we are building generations who are more conscientious of matters of our Earth as a whole.

Today, I'm with my boys at a scouting camp where we'll plant trees. We will talk about the meaning of Earth Day and reinforce how we should live day-to-day in Earth-friendly ways. And if you think one person, one action cannot make a difference, check out this article.

What about you? Does Earth Day hold any importance to you, and what are you planning to do on this special occasion?

~Ayla

No comments: