This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

11.5.12

You Read What?!?!

I have blue hair. Real big deal, right? To some people it is. To others it makes no difference. For those that it irritates, well, they seem to find a lot more things that really drive them crazy about me. But this story pertains to my hair.

I was sitting and waiting for my totlet to get out of school. I happened to be reading a book. Crazy, right? I didn't have the top on the Jeep, so the warm sunshine shone on my hair. Did I mention I have a tire cover that says "Dirty Jeep Girl"? Yeah, I do.

So I'm reading and minding my own business when another parent stops to talk to me. Fine. I love to talk. Ask anyone. This person, though, took it upon herself to ask the tough questions. Here's our conversation:

"Picking up the child?"

Yep.

"You're reading."

I'm glad you noticed.

"I just read this book that I think would be right up your alley."

Oh? (I couldn't wait to hear the title. Why? Because I had some crazy notion that the person might name a book that wasn't the one making headlines.)

She hands me the book making the headlines. "This was the best read. I had no idea people did this stuff. You should write like this."

(Now she knew I wrote books. A dear friend of mine shouted it to the entire foyer one time, so yeah, they know.) Have you researched what I write?

"Yeah. I saw you on Amazon. But this book... It's naughty. People probably think I'm like you because I read it."

Like me? Do explain.

"Oh you know." She waved her hands. "The hair. No one in their right minds wears BLUE hair. Only punks. And you never wear anything that doesn't have a car on it. What I read about your work on Amazon, I bet this book would describe you. You look like you'd love it."


It was a good thing I'd been sitting down or I'd have fallen over. I don't have anything against that book. Write what you want and what makes you happy. More power to you. What irked me was the generalization. She didn't know me. Not really. Blue hair, concert t-shirts and the penchant for wearing my favorite Adidas doesn't signify anything other than maybe I have an original sense of style. I didn't appreciate her assuming she knew me. Is there anything wrong with writing BDSM? Nope. Practicing it? As long as it's safe, more power to you. Do I have my kinks? Yep. I'd probably tell you if you asked.

So I looked at her for a long time. I had to think through what I wanted to say. I suffer from a wicked case of open foot insert mouth syndrome. I placed the book I happened to be reading (Treble if you want to know, I wanted to read the other books in the anthology and finally had time to read it.) on the console. I smiled. "Bless your heart for suggesting it. I should put it on my to be read list. I've got a couple of good BDSM books on my ereader. Want me to suggest a couple? They aren't really like the one you read. Some are more hardcore, but you might like them. I've got a couple books I've written that might work, too."

She gasped, turned bright red and waved her finger. I knew it. I knew the first time I saw you, you were one of those kink perverts." She shook her head like she'd won a battle and walked away.

Kink pervert? i wouldn't call anyone a kink pervert, unless they did something really bad (you know what I mean - the stuff involving kids or bodily fluids... shudder). Why? To each their own. But I ask you, what did that make her? A closet kink pervert? There isn't anything wrong with suggesting a book to a friend. I don't know that I would've made my delivery quite the same way. Still, there's something dangerous about assuming that because of the way a person looks, or the books they read, that they are a specific way. If you peek at my ereader, you'd think I was gay with a fascination with BDSM. I'm happily married with a small person.

What's the point in all this? You never really know what the person next to you is reading and that's a good thing. I want people to read all kinds of books, look however they want to, and to do whatever it is that's safe and makes them happy. If that means wearing a Queen shirt, sporting blue hair and writing kink, then go for it. The friend doesn't talk to me now. She's 'slightly embarrassed' she says and avoids me. Was it the hair? I doubt it. I think it was the honesty. I proved her point that I might be one of 'those people'. Am I? Probably. But yanno, being one of those people is darned fun.

Want to read a little about my latest work? Here you go!


When You're With Me
Contemp, M/F, light bdsm, spanking
Novel
Available here!


A topless dancer plus a cynical cop doesn’t equal a lifetime love...or does it?

There’s more to Jude Nelson than just a sequined thong. She has big dreams of becoming an artist. There’s one tiny wrinkle in her plan-she’ll never forget the bloody image of her friend’s battered body in the dumpster.

Who can a nude dancer turn to for help? Certainly not a hardened undercover cop...

Detective Drew Alwyn is on the case to find out who murdered his good friend and fellow officer. But the moment he sees Jude, he can’t look away. He has to decide which is more important-his dedication to his job or the girl who holds his bruised and battered heart.

Will these two opposites come together to solve the case or will their desire consume them?

Reader Advisory: This story contains scenes of bondage, mentions of drug use by secondary characters, silk, sequins and art supplies used in foreplay, voyeurism and a little spanking for good measure.




Want to know more about Wendi Zwaduk? Here you go:

I always dreamt of writing the stories in my head. Tall, dark, and handsome heroes are my favorites, as long as he has an independent woman keeping him in line. I earned a BA in education at Kent State University and currently hold a Masters in Education with Nova Southeastern University.

I love NASCAR, romance, books in general, Ohio farmland, dirt racing, and my menagerie of animals. I’m published with Total-E-Bound, Changeling Press, Liquid Silver Books and The Wild Rose Press. Come join me for this fantastic journey!

Site: http://wendizwaduk.com/
Blog: http://wendizwaduk.blogspot.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/WendiZwaduk
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/wendi.zwaduk
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Wendi-Zwaduk/e/B003KA589U/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1
Goodreads:http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3495446.Wendi_Zwaduk
On Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/wendizwaduk/
On Google+ : https://plus.google.com/115637543946745656739/posts
On Romance Novel Center: http://www.romancenovelcenter.com/wendizwaduk

2 comments:

Ranae Rose said...

LOL Wendi, that story is hilarious. People can be so uptight and judgmental! When the average person asks me what I do, I just tell them I write 'romance novels'. I have very respectable long brown hair (ha!) and read on my kindle (where I can read what I want privately) so they probably don't mentally insert adjectives like 'erotic' or 'gay' before that job description. Oh, if only they knew the truth... *snicker*

Wendi Zwaduk said...

I'll admit, I laugh way too loud, know most all of the dirty jokes and will tell them if asked (or not), and I tend to have my music up WAY too loud. Just cracked me up she thought I was 'that kind of reader' and yet if she only knew. Grin. Thanks for stopping by Ranae! :-)