This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

17.8.12

Horrible History :(

Well, no...not really.

But.

I write M/M romance and I foolishly decided to write a series. The series is entitled 'The Endersley Papers' and three of the four books are historical. The first novel, 'Lord of Endersley' starts off in India in 1857, immediately before the Sepoy Uprising, the second is mainly set in Russia before, during and after the Russian Revolution and the third takes place before and during World War Two. I've made life easy for myself, because the last in the series will be contemporary.

Doing the research has been a bit of an experience and a bit of a challenge - 19th Century lube*, anyone? What about the Anti-Sodomy Act? How can you give your characters an HEA when the law of the time dictated that homosexuality was illegal, at the very least resulting in prison, and worse, hanging. I did manage it, but it took some digging. Of course, if you want to see how I managed it, you'll have to read 'Lord of Endersley' when it's released.

I've discovered that, if I'm writing a novel in an historical setting, I really really need major, world-shattering events to hang my plot on. I binned the original second book in the series because I couldn't really  find anything exciting to throw my main characters into. I tried to write an M/M version of a Gothic romance but I just couldn't get it to work, so I skipped a generation. I haven't found a title for the new second book yet, but I have a hellacious amount of research to do. So, if anyone knows where I can find anything about the daily life of a doctor in the Red Army during the Russian Civil War, I'd be much obliged if you can point me in the right direction.

Until next month (when I promise to post on time).

S.A.Meade

*see the above picture






No comments: