This site contains adult content. By visiting and viewing the content of this site you confirm that you are aged 18 or above.

19.8.12

Social media me


Hi all!

Remember me? I've been hiding under a rock for quite a while now, writing and doing other (day-job related) stuff and I've sadly neglected this blog and my own blog A DARK KIND OF DESIRE. I'm glad my fellow TEB authors have been holding up the flag here at Hitting the Hot Spot while I was away frolicking. I know, I know, shameful behaviour. Shouldn't leave poor little blogs to fend for themselves for so long.

But that is all about to change. I'm on the brink of becoming an all new me - a social-media personality. I've created a Facebook profile and a Facebook author page. I've also joined Goodreads and created an amazon.com author page. I've been thinking about joining Twitter too, but I usually need four text messages (in a row) to get my message across to my family and friends (they can tell you all about that) so I don't see how I could restrict my wordy self to a mere 140 characters...

Anyway - I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the whole social media thing and I could use some help with that. Care to tell me how you use Facebook, Twitter, blogs, Goodreads, amazon? Mind letting me know what kind of stuff you like to see on author pages and what information you usually look for?

I'm not asking you to do all the work for nothing. I've brought an incentive: I'm giving away a copy of The Accidental Sub.

Here's what I'd ask you to do: Drop by and join my blog, like my author page on Facebook or amazon.com or friend me on Goodreads. Then come back here and leave a comment with your e-mail address and insights into the whole soical media whatchamacallit. Help a desperate newbie out?

Here's the blurb for The Accidental Sub:

Catherine has been on the run from her abusive husband and former dom for years. Unable to trust anyone. She has also left the BDSM lifestyle. Or so she thought. Until a strange but powerful voice told her to get naked and kneel right there, in the middle of her office. After hours. Will she give in to her sweet urges and submit to a strange dom if only for one night? Can she trust her own instincts, which had let her into a disastrous marriage?

Jon has been a dom for years, but recently he has become bored with the lifestyle – until he sees Catherine kneeling in her office stark naked and in a beautifully submissive position. Jon knows he has to have her. Can he convince the gorgeous submissive to trust him? And will he be able to keep her safe from the demons in her past?


The Accidental Sub is also part of the Subspace anthology which just got a five-star review from Night Owl reviews. Read the full review here.

I'll be back here next month on the 19th. I promise.

7 comments:

Sage Marlowe said...

Hi Mina,

Oh, this sounds all so familiar :)
I'm totally bad at blogging, everyone who happens to drop by here on the tenth of every month will be able to confirm that (Sorry, folks...)
I've had my fair share of struggle with Facebook but I find it works out fine for me by now. I use it mostly to post updates on my books and WIP or buy links - and show off my cover art, of course! And I love just scrolling through the news feed and seeing what the others have been up to. There are always some funny or sexy pictures to discover and sometimes an inspiration to be found... It's also great to network and chat to people, which can be very nice if you don't have family or friends to discuss the writing business with.

Goodreads isn't quite my favourite place to be. I think it's mostly created for readers, so my author self only checks in occasionally to update book info. And Twitter... scary.

Good luck with the social media-ing!

Sage

Daine Thorne said...

Hi Mina,
Hitting the social sweet spots can be overwhelming :) Especially if you have two names or more. I found this out last year, but I still strive to hit some of them under both names every day. Goodreads is my weak spot as it is more time consuming.
Twitter and Facebook are easy and fast. Amazon...well there isn't much to do there, thankfully.
I liked your FB page and sent you a friend request in Goodreads, both are under my pen name Diane Thorne.
I'd love to read your book :)

Best wishes to you always!
PS: if you sign up for Twitter, let me know.

author.dianethorne(at)gmail(dot)com

Lisabet Sarai said...

Hi, Mina,

In my opinion, you shouldn't "do" social media just because somebody tells you that you should. If you spread yourself too thin, all your marketing will suffer, and your writing too.

The only social network I use is Goodreads, and that's mostly because I love to read and get suggestions from others.

On the other hand (as you know) I spend a lot of time and energy on blogging. I personally feel the pay off is better, for me.

But as they say, different strokes...

Linda said...

I use twitter, goodreads and FB to keep track of when my fav. authors release new books, or when there´s a giveaway.
I´ve noticed that most authors use one primary site where they keep updating, and the others as a way to keep in contact with the readers.
And most of these apps connect with each other, so if you update on for example Tumblr, or Pinterest, it re-blogs it to FB and/or Twitter.
There´s so many ways to keep in touch nowadays, start out with something small and get yourself used to it, sooner than you think you´ll have more accounts than you thought =)

msjordynmckenzie said...

Hi Mina,
I know what you're going through, and I just "pimped" your FB page on mine to hopefully start sending some traffic your way. :-)

I find it to be a fun way to interact with potential readers, and it also serves as a way to see what's really catching their attention these days. It's not dedicated specifically to my writing, but I make sure to remind my followers that's why I'm there and what I do, and provide updates as to what's going on with my writing. Lisabet was right in saying to be careful in spreading yourself too thin. I had that problem at first, and still struggle with procrastinating on things I should be doing *cough*editing*cough*, but I find that setting a specific allotted time to do your social networking helps in avoiding that issue.

Besides FB, I have a Twitter feed, which I treat basically the same way I do my FB, and then I have my blog on which I share anything from mindless rambling to little short and steamy outtakes I write on the fly. I actually started a little continuing series called "Forbidden" which I'd been updating weekly (though I'm overdue on the next one and they're starting to gripe - I left it hanging at sexy time, my bad) to generate interest for new readers and introduce them to my style of writing. When I post a new update on my blog, I share it on my FB page. I've gotten to where my blog gets nearly 300 hits on update days, which is fantastic!

I hope this helps a little, but if you have any questions or if I can help you further, feel free to message me any time!

~Jordyn

Mina Dorian said...

Thanks so much for your very helpful comments ladies! And thanks for promoting my FB-page, Jordyn!

I must admit I was a bit worried about not being able to keep up with different sites. So connecting the sites seems to be the way to go for me (thanks for suggesting this Linda). And yes, procrastinating - er, researching - on Facebook, I can totally see that happening after only a couple of weeks ;-).

I've also chosen a winner for the giveaway. I'll email you in a few minutes, Diane Thorne.


Bebe Balocca said...

This is great information

~*busily takes notes*~

I'm trying to get my name out there and am learning a bit more every day. I'm still a bit confused by goodreads, but it must be a good thing, right? And Twitter seems like more than I can deal with. I do have a blog, though, and it seems like a natural home base to link other stuff to.

And I love Facebook. It makes me feel like I'm not working alone. I love to take little breaks to see what people have to say and send out some good karma with congratulations and likes.